• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 11/5-11/7

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah the 18z NAM is rough. A string of tornadic supercells crossing Arkansas and northern Louisiana. A bit slower with the system than the others but a very potent setup with the dynamics. Not taking it face value at this range but STP values were eye-opening.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
The one fly in the ointment, if there is one, is that the GFS seemed to hint at the potential for convection ongoing in the Gulf. (Yeah real shocking I know) I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have but it has a signal for that. It didn't seem like it was particularly impactful but that is a signal I picked up on when looking over the model suites today.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I don't see coastal convection being an issue. Unlike yesterday, there will be height rises over the Gulf. We had a lot of forcing very close to the Gulf that created a mass of convection down there.

I was on the fence about that. It also seemed like it was elevated and lighter convection. The GFS also seemed to mysteriously weaken the EML which.. considering the 500mb trough itself is STRENGTHENING which each run.. seems to defy logic.

amp1998

Reaction score
The one fly in the ointment, if there is one, is that the GFS seemed to hint at the potential for convection ongoing in the Gulf. (Yeah real shocking I know) I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have but it has a signal for that. It didn't seem like it was particularly impactful but that is a signal I picked up on when looking over the model suites today.
I don't buy it at this point.

gangstonc

Reaction score
With such a large warm sector in place, it wouldn’t hamper things too much would it?

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With such a large warm sector in place, it wouldn’t hamper things too much would it?

Like discussed above after he posted that, it's not even believable at all because the Gulf Coast and northern Gulf will be under shortwave ridging aloft with increasing mid-level heights. That would mean sinking air and there will probably also be capping.

CAL

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I feel there needs to be more research on this coastal convection issue... much more. Honestly, I'm not sure we understand it that well as a meteorological community. Someone could do some really nice research on it for sure!

X

Xenesthis

Like discussed above after he posted that, it's not even believable at all because the Gulf Coast and northern Gulf will be under shortwave ridging aloft with increasing mid-level heights. That would mean sinking air and there will probably also be capping.
So basically there is literally nothing getting in the way of this?

X

Xenesthis

Am I the only one here having a gut wrenching feeling about this?

X

Xenesthis

Mark my words this will go down in history for tornado outbreaks...

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've removed a few posts. Please stay on topic.

Logo 468x120
Back