• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 11/5-11/7

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
GFS is definitely faster than last night's run that got everyone's attention too. Last night's run had the surface low back near SGF with the cold front on the AR/OK line at 6Z Tuesday. This 12Z run has the surface low in western IL with the cold front coming through Jonesboro, AR at 6Z Tuesday.

mdberry

Reaction score
GFS is definitely faster than last night's run that got everyone's attention too. Last night's run had the surface low back near SGF with the cold front on the AR/OK line at 6Z Tuesday. This 12Z run has the surface low in western IL with the cold front coming through Jonesboro, AR at 6Z Tuesday.

Fred,

I know that we are several days out from this event; but if things line up the way they are looking now; could you see the SPC going with a High Risk somewhere over North Alabama, North Mississippi, or Southern Tennessee?

X

Xenesthis

Fred,

I know that we are several days out from this event; but if things line up the way they are looking now; could you see the SPC going with a High Risk somewhere over North Alabama, North Mississippi, or Southern Tennessee?
I am curious to your thoughts on this as well Fred..

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Fred,

I think it's less impossible than it is with most systems we talk about here, and I think just getting the timing for Alabama out of that "straddle zone" between what SPC uses for "Monday" and "Tuesday" and fit the timing firmly into "Monday" for them, alone, would increase the chances of that happening. That "straddle" is the only reason why Alabama is not sitting in the 30% risk already. They made it clear in the discussion that the *significant* risk would extend into Tuesday (and Tuesday to them starts at 12Z Tuesday).

mdberry

Reaction score
I think it's less impossible than it is with most systems we talk about here, and I think just getting the timing for Alabama out of that "straddle zone" between what SPC uses for "Monday" and "Tuesday" and fit the timing firmly into "Monday" for them, alone, would increase the chances of that happening. That "straddle" is the only reason why Alabama is not sitting in the 30% risk already. They made it clear in the discussion that the *significant* risk would extend into Tuesday (and Tuesday to them starts at 12Z Tuesday).

Thanks Fred...always appreciate your insight

X

Xenesthis

Fred, I am in southern Middle TN.. do you feel the risk is as high here as in AL?

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Fred, I am in southern Middle TN.. do you feel the risk is as high here as in AL?

Once you account for usual model thermodynamic biases and look at how they performed with the low-level thermos with just the last system... and how this pattern is much more favorable for a potent air mass to come northward... yes. I honestly think the strong tornado threat extends northward toward the Ohio Valley... with the greatest threat probably between I-40 and U.S. 80 (JAN-MGM).

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Does anyone have the 500mb chart from Nov.10 2002? I was trying to find one but couldn't.
I found this:

500-oa-00.gif

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So what effect might that have?

Stronger wind fields, stronger pressure falls, the potential for the surface low to be closer (the sfc low with that event actually moved into southern Canada that morning and we just had pressure falls down the cold front to back the low-level winds).....

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Stronger wind fields, stronger pressure falls, the potential for the surface low to be closer (the sfc low with that event actually moved into southern Canada that morning and we just had pressure falls down the cold front to back the low-level winds).....
Also you could argue that it could be slightly colder aloft...but there could be other unknown variables to compensate.

Back