• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 11/5-11/7

Frogge

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NAM does not look as aggressive as Euro and timing is different. Enough model watching for me until tomorrow :)

Frogge

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So if I’m looking at the EURO right, this is an early Tuesday threat for Memphis area?

No, Monday night before midnight. Euro is faster than NAM and GFS but all pretty much have the threat out of Memphis around midnight. GFS is running now so lets see if it changes

Last edited:

NWMSGuy

Reaction score
No, Monday night before midnight. Euro is faster than NAM and GFS but all pretty much have the threat out of Memphis around midnight. GFS is running now so lets see if it changes
Thanks for the info! The model timings are a little confusing to me, admittedly.

Frogge

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thanks for the info! The model timings are a little confusing to me, admittedly.

I know its obvious but being this far out I wouldn't bank on any model timing yet... Even with that said I doubt Memphis will be in the hot seat after midnight.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Memphis AFD calling for possibly isolated Tornadoes. Any of you seeing this being the case or worse?
their mornings afd been nore bullish... lasttwo days been like that... yeah, no doubt iso tornadoes is a safe bet... but i tend think there could be little more than isolated... watch tomorrow mornings afd go more bullish again and more detailed...

Reaction score
BMX AFD made a good explanation about what has been giving me the most pause looking at the recent model runs.

Dewpoints surging into the upper 60s and a well-mixed boundary
layer may result in SBCAPE as high as 2000 J/kg during the
overnight hours. Values this high will not be explicitly shown by
model output due to the typical error of decoupling the boundary
layer in the warm sector during the overnight hours.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
BMX AFD made a good explanation about what has been giving me the most pause looking at the recent model runs.

Yep, this is a very common thing down here during the cool season. I think it relates to the parameterization related to insolation and solar radiation. The only models that don't have as bad of a time with this historically are the CAMs, and even they struggle with it to a degree. And fwiw, 3 km NAM and Euro are starting to face value show this kind of CAPE now, as far north as the TN line in MS/AL...

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
RJ...I see a hot spot of 4.2 0-3KM EHI in Colbert County

Oh, the 1 km values are that high once you click on the forecast soundings on pivotalweather.com, and you're able to apply the virtual temperature correction to the forecast soundings. The environment modeled in much of west and north Alabama has 0-1 km SRH over 400 m2/s2, 67-70 dewpoints at face value 1500-2000 j/kg SBCAPE, and 0-3 km CAPE over 110 j/kg. That last one is a critical parameter for EF4+ tornado environments, and it exceeds the typical value associated with them. ECMWF also already has face value modeled CAPE in excess of 2000 j/kg in some of these areas.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh, the 1 km values are that high once you click on the forecast soundings on pivotalweather.com, and you're able to apply the virtual temperature correction to the forecast soundings. The environment modeled in much of west and north Alabama has 0-1 km SRH over 400 m2/s2, 67-70 dewpoints at face value 1500-2000 j/kg SBCAPE, and 0-3 km CAPE over 110 j/kg. That last one is a critical parameter for EF4+ tornado environments, and it exceeds the typical value associated with them. ECMWF also already has face value modeled CAPE in excess of 2000 j/kg in some of these areas.

Dear Lord Fred.....0-1km at over 400 m2/s2 ::( Fred are using real SharpY for adjusting for Vt?

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Dear Lord Fred.....0-1km at over 400 m2/s2 ::(

0-1 km bulk shear has been modeled to be 45-50+ kts over much of northern and central AL. We are well into the EF4+ range with a lot of these critical tornado parameters, in an environment that has forcing geometry and deep-layer shear orientation that is favorable for discrete, long-track, fast-moving supercells. If things don't start backing off very soon (and given how much consistency we have now, how close we are, and how the large-scale mechanisms in setups like this drive much of the smaller scale... we are rapidly running out of time for said changes), I have a feeling that SPC might be breaking out their pink crayon around midnight tomorrow night...

CAL

Meteorologist
Reaction score
One of the methods used to predict storm motion is forecasting 65 knots out of 235 degrees over northeast MS and northwest Alabama per the latest NAM data. Wow. I personally consider this method very reliable and wouldn't be shocked at all if it verifies...