Severe WX Sunday March 3 Severe Threat

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Lee County tornado had to have been violent to get these kinds of deaths in a rural area.
I don't think there's any doubt it's going to be rated EF-4. I think there's a very real chance it's a high-end EF-4. The kind of damage I've seen in the pictures/videos taken before it got dark is the kind of damage you only see in violent tornadoes.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think the above-ground survival rate of the Beauregard tornado, with that high a fatality ratio, is going to be pretty classic high end violent tornado. We'll see what kind of DI's they find along its rural path, though.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
May be a poor area with poorly constructed homes, leading to more injuries and fatalities as well. Very sad to see this, and that really is a high death toll without a direct hit on a more populated area.
A lot like the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado in that respect. A storm that really didn't hit many big population centers but caused a lot of fatalities in the populated areas it did impact. I have no doubt that we'd be talking potential EF-5 and dozens of fatalities if that thing had passed ten miles north or ten miles south.

I will add that I wouldn't characterize the area around Smith's Station as poor. I can't speak to home construction (a lot of US home construction is quite bad) but it's a decently well-off Columbus suburb/exurb.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cairo, GA, sounds just as bad as Beauregard and Smith’s Station with regards to mass casualties.
I was afraid that would be the case, given that it was probably a strong tornado and also after dark. Was there a warning when the storm hit the town? That's pretty much a worst case scenario, where a strong tornado develops so quickly right before moving into a town.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Any word from Thomasville, Ga? I think it’s east of Cairo.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Pretty sure it was still warned as it had been rotating previously, but just happened to ramp up over the town whilst inside the old warning.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Any word from Thomasville, Ga? I think it’s east of Cairo.
I think Thomasville is okay. I haven't heard anything about damage there. That storm was basically following US 84 the whole way though. You couldn't put a storm on a more perfect track to affect all of the main cities in that part of Georgia. I don't know that part of the state as well, mainly just from travelling down there for football games.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To have that kind of death toll without hitting any population centers is horrifying. I'd be interested to know the fatality location and structure statistics, surely mobile homes are involved.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Unbelievable. Did it hit a trailer park or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no idea what kind of structures it hit. We're talking about a likely violent tornado here so a low above-ground survival rate even in site-built homes isn't surprising. This was probably one of those rare tornadoes where people could do exactly the right thing in terms of seeking shelter and still die.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This was the deadliest tornado since Moore 2013 (24) and if the death toll rises again, it could eclipse it

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
I have no idea what kind of structures it hit. We're talking about a likely violent tornado here so a low above-ground survival rate even in site-built homes isn't surprising. This was probably one of those rare tornadoes where people could do exactly the right thing in terms of seeking shelter and still die.

True but dang.. And to think this storm tried it best to produce over Tuskegee. All bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logo 468x120
Back