• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Sunday March 3 Severe Threat

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
True but dang.. And to think this storm tried it best to produce over Tuskegee. All bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if it had produced earlier in its life cycle or taken a small turn north or south we would be talking about astronomical numbers of casualties no doubt

Reaction score
if it had produced earlier in its life cycle or taken a small turn north or south we would be talking about astronomical numbers of casualties no doubt
I'm honestly worried about what sort of death toll we'll be looking at when the sun rises. The Cairo and Talbotton tornadoes were also likely violent, and the Cairo one in particular had a massive TDS.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Lee County toll is apparently expected to continue to rise overnight according to the sheriff's office. The scale of this is truly overwhelming. I mean, yeah, we had 4/27, but to think that a day like this would produce such a deadly tornado is hard to fathom.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm honestly worried about what sort of death toll we'll be looking at when the sun rises. The Cairo and Talbotton tornadoes were also likely violent, and the Cairo one in particular had a massive TDS.
yeah, especially since the Cairo one was after dark. I heard about several injuries from Talbotton, but not any fatalities. sounds like mostly minor injuries with the other storms in central Georgia, although I haven't seen any precise figures. no confirmed fatalities thankfully.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Up to 23 now.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
A 6 year old has been added to the list of fatalities today.. awful..

This will sadly be an event people 40 years from now remember in Alabama weather history, and not in a good way..

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Images and video primarily out of the Lee county tornado show houses wiped off their foundation, mild-moderate ground scouring and trees stripped clean. There's no doubt in my mind this will be at least an EF-4. Extremely horrific situation for the families and friends of loved ones lost and hurt. Thoughts to go out to those, and the first responders - paramedics, police, EMTs... doctors, nurses, techs at the hospitals ... The impacts are far reaching and I encourage everyone reading this to take a few seconds of pause to pay respects for all of the victims of this tragedy.

CAL

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I'm certainly not in a position to ascertain the official intensity of the first tornado in Lee County, however, the wind rowing of trees toward the end of the video linked below reminds me of damage associated with maxi tornadoes gone by. Will be interesting to see what the DI's permit when the weather service performs the official survey.

Last edited:

RF16Gold

Reaction score
I see where the little boy who died was Hispanic. Anyone know if there was a large Hispanic population in this area of Lee Cointy? If so, with lots of trailers and low percentage of those folks speaking English thus low chance that they may have gotten the warning equals really no chance of surviving a violent tornado. Just speculating, but could be a huge story in the aftermath.

Fred

Reaction score
According to Wiki citing census data:

As of the census[10] of 2000, there were 115,092 people, 45,702 households, and 27,284 families residing in the county. The population density was 189 people per square mile (73/km2). There were 50,329 housing units at an average density of 83 per square mile (32/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 74.07% White, 22.65% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 1.63% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 0.93% from two or more races. 1.43% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Back