• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Event April 13-14, 2019

Reaction score
Always a little disconcerting to see non-contaminated PDS TOR soundings valid for 09Z (4 AM CDT). Still, it's not a guarantee. I recall a setup a couple years ago (forget the exact date off the top of my head) that had a PDS tornado watch valid for parts of the South late at night and had everyone on tenterhooks, but no sustained supercells initiated.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
MS/AL region. It looks like things will be capped over much of LA and I don’t think storms will get going until closer to the Mississippi River.
Yes, it does look capped...and that cap prob extends a little further east until the prefrontal trough/lead vort max arrives...which will determine overall timing of the event. If it is faster, I think there will be more space between it and the front.

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
Always a little disconcerting to see non-contaminated PDS TOR soundings valid for 09Z (4 AM CDT). Still, it's not a guarantee. I recall a setup a couple years ago (forget the exact date off the top of my head) that had a PDS tornado watch valid for parts of the South late at night and had everyone on tenterhooks, but no sustained supercells initiated.
Assuming you mean the day before the high risk in GA/FL/SC in January 2017. Believe there was a cap problem, but we still had the Adele GA tornado which killed 12 people.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Assuming you mean the day before the high risk in GA/FL/SC in January 2017. Believe there was a cap problem, but we still had the Adele GA tornado which killed 12 people.
That day also had significant VBV issues across part of the warm sector.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
2017 overall had a SE displacement of best parameters. 4/4/17 had that issue too.

Often, veer-back-veer leads to messy and upscale growth in storms.
Yeah, there’s still some evidence of VBV at around 700 mb on some of this morning’s forecast soundings. That’s been pretty consistent over the last few runs and is one of the real caveats I see for this event.

Kory

Reaction score
Yeah, there’s still some evidence of VBV at around 700 mb on some of this morning’s forecast soundings. That’s been pretty consistent over the last few runs and is one of the real caveats I see for this event.
I’m not seeing any real issues across the warm sector once you get into MS/AL region. It’s a bit more unidirectional in the mid levels than you’d like for a supercellular event, but I think mixed storm mode is the best bet right now.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m not seeing any real issues across the warm sector once you get into MS/AL region. It’s a bit more unidirectional in the mid levels than you’d like for a supercellular event, but I think mixed storm mode is the best bet right now.
Oh, yeah, I was talking about further west in the ENH area. I haven’t looked as closely further east yet.

Kory

Reaction score
Also, shows a more disconnect of shear and cape for Alabama..shear is lower once cape finally arrives, but it may be underplayed a bit.
I think it’s decoupling the boundary layer too much. A later arrival time doesn’t quite make sense with lower instability especially when it’s during the later morning hours vs early morning.

Last edited:

TXTornado

Reaction score
Shreveport AFD

Higher confidence in a potentially widespread severe weather event
hinges on the timing of these features aligning during the peak of
afternoon heating as the upper trough will take on an increasingly
negative tilt as it pivots NE directly over the region by late Sat
afternoon into the early evening. The strong forcing combined with
very robust shear profiles along the deepening sfc low warrants
ample cause for concern as it relates to the threat for tornadoes.
The likelihood of some discrete supercells developing during the
afternoon seems like a foregone conclusion with this very favorable
setup. Model progs seem to indicate a gradual transition to a more
linear convective mode later in the event by late afternoon through
the early evening hours. All that said, expect all modes of severe
weather to be in play for the duration of Saturday afternoon and
possibly a bit later. The other concern will be for some localized
flooding where very heavy rainfall could occur with individual cells
as well as training storms. This could lead to some flash flooding
concerns which is why all of the region is also included in a Slight
Risk for excessive rainfall on Saturday. Convection should gradually
diminish through the evening and overnight hours as dry slotting
occurs behind the ejecting upper trough with the cold front exiting
the region by daybreak on Sunday. Expect improving conditions during
Sunday as temperatures will only climb into the 60s for highs.

Kory

Reaction score
UKMET is slower...around daybreak before beginning in AL. Again, the NAM looks to be on its own regarding the meager instability.

Back