• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Event April 13-14, 2019

pritchlaw

Reaction score
The storms last Saturday night were rough in Hayden, Al. No tornado but winds strong enough to scatter everything all over the yard/porch/road. Very heavy rain for about 15-20 minutes too.

bwalk

Reaction score
Plenty of moist warm air with high 60ish dew points and a vertically sheared trough/vorticity. Enough instability to work with. Plenty of SVR dynamics will be present this weekend.

1554822358648.png

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking quickly over early diagnosis on 12zgfs.... is it my imagination or does the trough seem to be taking on a more sharper look compared to earlier runs .... if so if... could be more linear nature .... early observation on the latest gfs

Kory

Reaction score
With shear vectors oriented WSW/SW, I could definitely see some QLCS component, but it is very supportive of supercells as well. Lots of forcing out ahead of the main boundary.

Jimruns

Reaction score
With shear vectors oriented WSW/SW, I could definitely see some QLCS component, but it is very supportive of supercells as well. Lots of forcing out ahead of the main boundary.
Kory

Can you explain this briefly in somewhat layman's terms and how this can be determined?

Kory

Reaction score
Kory

Can you explain this briefly in somewhat layman's terms and how this can be determined?
You can look at the surface to 500mb shear vectors. This is what determines storm mode. Generally, for supercells, you want the shear vectors oriented more perpendicular to the boundary (in this case its is N/S). A more westerly/WSW component would favor a cellular storm mode. In this case, it is more WSW/SW, meaning mixed storm mode. But there is a lot of ascent over the warm sector ahead of the main boundary, meaning in this scenario, I'd suspect there would be discrete convection across the warm sector.

Of course, there is still time to work out storm characteristics. Bottom line, Saturday into Sunday looks very stormy.

bs0500.conus.png

bs0500.conus.png

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I have so many memories of my little NWS storm warning station going off in the middle of the night when we lived in Mississippi and they were all scary.

Night time is definitely fright time when there is severe weather in Dixie Ally.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Probably more toward midday for y'all. I think the models are consolidating on a good time scale here.

Might impact The Masters I guess. I know it is just golf but it is a major and will have a ton of people in Augusta.

Back