• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Pretty impressive sounding valid 03z (23:00 EDT/22:00 CDT). The point is 10 miles NW of Selma, AL.

Attachments

• 1615609712436.png
    1615609712436.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 0

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
GFS is trending cleaner with the warm sector pre-event on Wednesday, and this allows for a LARGE significantly unstable warm sector (south-central IL and southwest IN, southward to the Gulf Coast). The low-level flow is starting to trend more backed and the low-level jet starts ramping up earlier in the afternoon and over a larger area (GFS and NAM both have a long-standing bias of not correctly handling isallobaric responses in relation to the low-level flow, often over-veering the low-level winds and not being strong enough with the sfc-850mb wind fields). This is trending in a very ugly direction...

Reaction score
View attachment 6796

This warm sector at 18z Wednesday from the 00z GFS, good gracious almighty.

Obviously pointing out similarities to historic events is not calling for a verbatim repeat of said historic event (@Fred Gossage )...but that surface pattern, particularly the location of the triple point and warm front as well as the time of year is giving me Tri-State vibes.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously pointing out similarities to historic events is not calling for a verbatim repeat of said historic event (@Fred Gossage )...but that surface pattern, particularly the location of the triple point and warm front as well as the time of year is giving me Tri-State vibes.
I could easily see a situation where the setup supports significant tornadoes from directly at the warm front like that, all the way down to south MS/AL.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I could easily see a situation where the setup supports significant tornadoes from directly at the warm front like that, all the way down to south MS/AL.
Just looking at the 00Z GFS, the jet structure look's to be a split-jet configuration towards the Mississippi River, with a 500mb jet near 90knts. With the surface low position the winds shouldn't be that veered.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
GFS is trending cleaner with the warm sector pre-event on Wednesday, and this allows for a LARGE significantly unstable warm sector (south-central IL and southwest IN, southward to the Gulf Coast). The low-level flow is starting to trend more backed and the low-level jet starts ramping up earlier in the afternoon and over a larger area (GFS and NAM both have a long-standing bias of not correctly handling isallobaric responses in relation to the low-level flow, often over-veering the low-level winds and not being strong enough with the sfc-850mb wind fields). This is trending in a very ugly direction...
Yes sir, indeed.

Reaction score
I think yesterday’s 12Z GFS featured a more prominent “double-barrelled” signature due to lower amplitude, hence greater mid/upper divergence with height relative to the surface boundary. Today’s 00Z hints at a more amplified synoptic pattern and suggests that there may be greater displacement of the enlarged warm sector from the best supercell/discrete composite(s). This means that localised boundaries may play a bigger role and that the high-end tornado threat may be more restricted than the outward appearance might suggest. In all, I think yesterday’s 12Z run showed a more conducive look for widespread significant tornadoes than today’s 00Z does.

Edit: I take this back; the 850-mb profile is quite similar to that of high-end, widespread outbreaks in terms of SIGTOR.

Last edited:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Does it look like a day or night event for Mississippi and Alabama. I cannot even imagine an bad outbreak at night and don't want to.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Does it look like a day or night event for Mississippi and Alabama. I cannot even imagine an bad outbreak at night and don't want to.
Things could change, but I think we're locking in on a general midday to midnight timeframe for Wednesday.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As Fred has mentioned above....trending ugly. Welcome to Spring 2021.

1615630228680.png

By Day 5/Wednesday, a more substantially unstable environment,
encompassing a large area, is likely, as a moist Gulf airmass
streams northward, beneath rather steep lapse rates advecting
eastward. With an eastward moving surface cyclone and attendant
warm and cold fronts focusing ascent, and the likelihood for broad
warm advection/QG ascent within the expanding warm sector, scattered
severe storms appear likely even given timing/location differences
of surface features amongst the models. While a more concentrated
area or areas of severe weather may evolve Wednesday, those details
-- and any associated outlook highlights -- will require discernment
in subsequent outlooks nearer the event. For now, a large/broad 15%
risk area will be introduced, representing a large envelope of
all-hazards severe potential.

Day 6, model differences become substantial enough that -- while
severe weather risk may continue, no areas will be highlighted due
to the predictability concerns.

..Goss.. 03/13/2021

1615631648037.png

1615633452039.png

1615633105004.png

Attachments

• 1615631823553.png
    1615631823553.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Clancy

Reaction score
The CIPS CWASP product pops an 85% near the Gadsden-Rome portion of the AL/GA border at 18Z Wednesday. 06Z GEFS ensemble SCP still showing similar numbers to yesterday.
1615641575994.png

1615641674003.png

Back