• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well, the CIPS analogs are triggering for next Thursday. Really Wednesday through Friday.

Attachments

• 20210318CIPS20210325Severe.jpg
    20210318CIPS20210325Severe.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was wondering who was going to mention that next.
Why does it ALWAYS seem to be MS and AL? smh
This time year. Deep South Dixie states are under gun as we get deeper spring trend go little north .be honest this spring looks bad perhaps to mid May even . Be aware . But Fred and many others warned of this upcoming spring being vilotale perhaps

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
This time year. Deep South Dixie states are under gun as we get deeper spring trend go little north .be honest this spring looks bad perhaps to mid May even . Be aware . But Fred and many others warned of this upcoming spring being vilotale perhaps
He sure did! We are now seeing exactly what he (and others) were talking about.

We should no longer be surprised by the frequency, intensity or location of the storms this year.

Clancy

Reaction score
Definitely concerned that some might get complacent and get an unwelcome surprise in an upcoming event. I've heard a few murmurings voicing concern for what April might bring, given what mid-March was able to accomplish yesterday. With regard to May events, the only one that comes to mind (for Georgia, anyway) is what sometimes gets called the "Mother's Day Outbreak" in the state, in May of 2008, and was part of an outbreak sequence, I believe.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Not only do we have systems in the medium range that show, at minimum, some potential for strong to severe storms, but as we also take a step back and look at the background pattern again, The overall large scale placement of everything remains supportive of maintenance of the minimum of an on-again, off-again for a short bit active weather pattern going forward. The large scale background conditions that would support the potential for major, large scale severe weather are still in place, and there is increasing evidence that the MJO may recycle again as we head into April and that the Pacific may begin to feature a more classic La Nina severe weather look, with the transition to a more prominent Pacific jet and the subtropical jet taking a big backseat, as we head toward April. While I cannot say for sure and cannot, by any stretch, make any guarantees... not only do I think at least bouts of active severe weather continue going forward, but I think there is still large-scale major potential for Dixie Alley, and I'm very much not sure that yesterday was the "big day" of the spring for the heart of Dixie Alley, despite there being a High Risk and everything that transpired. Let's keep our heads on a swivel for the next 6-8 weeks or so.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not only do we have systems in the medium range that show, at minimum, some potential for strong to severe storms, but as we also take a step back and look at the background pattern again, The overall large scale placement of everything remains supportive of maintenance of the minimum of an on-again, off-again for a short bit active weather pattern going forward. The large scale background conditions that would support the potential for major, large scale severe weather are still in place, and there is increasing evidence that the MJO may recycle again as we head into April and that the Pacific may begin to feature a more classic La Nina severe weather look, with the transition to a more prominent Pacific jet and the subtropical jet taking a big backseat, as we head toward April. While I cannot say for sure and cannot, by any stretch, make any guarantees... not only do I think at least bouts of active severe weather continue going forward, but I think there is still large-scale major potential for Dixie Alley, and I'm very much not sure that yesterday was the "big day" of the spring for the heart of Dixie Alley, despite there being a High Risk and everything that transpired. Let's keep our heads on a swivel for the next 6-8 weeks or so.
O I agree 110!percent Fred ... think yesterday was only tip of the iceberg. Buckle up folks

andyhb

Reaction score
Yeah that system towards the latter part of next week after the low latitude troughing left behind by the current system gets kicked out is looking interesting, especially if it lifts north a bit.

KevinH

Reaction score
Definitely concerned that some might get complacent and get an unwelcome surprise in an upcoming event. I've heard a few murmurings voicing concern for what April might bring, given what mid-March was able to accomplish yesterday. With regard to May events, the only one that comes to mind (for Georgia, anyway) is what sometimes gets called the "Mother's Day Outbreak" in the state, in May of 2008, and was part of an outbreak sequence, I believe.
Most people who live in the South know how the weather CAN be.

I also think a lot of people in the South are already complacent because they have been under numerous threats of severe weather in the past WITHOUT being directly affected by it. People (here) do not realize that just because they did not take a direct hit all of the other times severe weather occurred, does not mean they were out of danger and will not be in danger for future events. They lull themselves into a false sense of security that gets people killed.

In my personal experience, despite what METs say over and over again, no matter how much "warning" people receive, most people are not going to take the weather seriously unless and until it affects them directly. In general, sometimes people do not "learn their lesson" unless and until the consequences of their actions (or inactions) are SEVERE (no pun intended). The same can be said for a lot of people in the south in regards to severe weather.

We can share, we can post, we can help people prepare (as we should), but unfortunately, I think a lot of (not all) people are just going to have to learn the hard way :(

You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make the horse drink.

John Jaye

Reaction score
It seems as though people here in Jasper, AL took yesterday quite seriously. Restaurants and businesses began closing around 1 p.m. Schools were already on Virtual Wednesday so that wasn't as issue. Our area has been in the thick of it enough that most folks here do pay attention. Doesn't hurt that there are a lot of AL Power employees that live in the area. I live on a major road, and traffic was very light yesterday afternoon and evening even though we, in Jasper, were never in a warned area.

KevinH

Reaction score
It seems as though people here in Jasper, AL took yesterday quite seriously. Restaurants and businesses began closing around 1 p.m. Schools were already on Virtual Wednesday so that wasn't as issue. Our area has been in the thick of it enough that most folks here do pay attention. Doesn't hurt that there are a lot of AL Power employees that live in the area. I live on a major road, and traffic was very light yesterday afternoon and evening even though we, in Jasper, were never in a warned area.
I am willing to bet that people in Jasper take it more seriously because of where they live within Dixie Alley. In other words, more people have “learned their lesson” over the years than say, people in.... I don’t know... say... GEORGIA, LOL!

They DO better because they KNOW better. They KNOW better because they are more likely to have EXPERIENCED what happens when you have a casual attitude about Mother Nature.

I have a friend who lives in Cullman, and I am almost incessantly telling her that she lives in the “Oklahoma of the South”

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
I think most places close early these days when there is nasty weather due to the liability risk. I could be wrong though. Blame Alex Shannnahaha

Clancy

Reaction score
CIPS is continuing to show the possibility for severe weather towards the latter half of next week (D6-7 on the analogs page).

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
  • download.png
    download.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Most people who live in the South know how the weather CAN be.

I also think a lot of people in the South are already complacent because they have been under numerous threats of severe weather in the past WITHOUT being directly affected by it. People (here) do not realize that just because they did not take a direct hit all of the other times severe weather occurred, does not mean they were out of danger and will not be in danger for future events. They lull themselves into a false sense of security that gets people killed.

In my personal experience, despite what METs say over and over again, no matter how much "warning" people receive, most people are not going to take the weather seriously unless and until it affects them directly. In general, sometimes people do not "learn their lesson" unless and until the consequences of their actions (or inactions) are SEVERE (no pun intended). The same can be said for a lot of people in the south in regards to severe weather.

We can share, we can post, we can help people prepare (as we should), but unfortunately, I think a lot of (not all) people are just going to have to learn the hard way :(

You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make the horse drink.
Many people are simply bad at risk assessment, although the chance of ever being affected directly by a tornado is so low, I can understand it to some degree. Nevertheless, it's not difficult to make simple preparations like getting a place to shelter ready just in case. I understand, too, how disruptive kids being out of school can be. Even if the fireworks on Wednesday were not as dramatic as many expected, though, I would not have wanted my child in a school.

Back