• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

This severe weather season will be?

• Much Above Average

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Above Average

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Average

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Much Below Average

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
In a normal spring I would be super stoked for this. Now, not so much.
I feel you on that one.

source.gif

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I feel you on that one.

source.gif
its april, finally getting into the peak of severe which april provides the most violent outbreaks for dixie, wouldn't sleep on this pattern kory... just because we seen the lucy pull the ball from Charlie brown most time this season thus far. we shall see

Reaction score
cheese, that's another concern to be honest, cause im afraid a lot folks are going be caught up in to the news over the virus pandemic and big severe weather event goiing catch lot people who don't keep up with this and know much about off guard
Yes indeed, that was a concern this past Saturday. However in Jonesboro it's possible it actually saved lives due to not as many people out shopping as there normally would be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First time I've ever seen a tornado rated EF-Unknown, but when you think about it I'm surprised I haven't seen it often.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The implementation of EF-U seems incredibly inconsistent, most WFOs would just default to EF0 though I saw another EF-U in Texas recently. Makes sense, but it needs to be applied consistently.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
0z euro raises eye brows long range ...

Yeah, next week and the following week show no shortage of instability. There's also progressive energy being modeled to come play with it.

Check out these forecast dewpoints.

dewpoints171.gif

Last edited:

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I don't know if you all saw this:

The coronavirus pandemic may affect the accuracy of the initial weather forecast model output originating from national and global weather prediction centers because of a cutback in the number of aircraft flights that generate vital weather data, according to the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) and other experts.

The aircraft collect temperature and wind data, among other information, that help improve the initial atmospheric conditions that drive global and regional weather forecast models. This data is used routinely to improve the forecasts created by national weather prediction centers across the globe.

However, the pandemic has drastically reduced the number of such flights in Europe and increasingly in the U.S. This impact will be a reduction in global forecast performance. For regional models, the impact may be even greater.
**Admin Edit- WesL** Included direct quote from the article

Last edited by a moderator:

Kory

Reaction score
We’re starting to see models latch onto the pattern we’ve seen for the umpteenth time this winter/spring. Cutoff out west and polar stream taking off leaving it meandering in the SW. Not exactly the pattern that produces widespread severe wx.

Gail

Reaction score
I don’t know about overseas, but I know we still have sorties flying daily. Couldn’t they compile some of that information from military aircraft around the US?

Edit: Oops, meant to quote the accuweather article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back