• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

This severe weather season will be?

• Much Above Average

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Above Average

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Average

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Much Below Average

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don’t know about overseas, but I know we still have sorties flying daily. Couldn’t they compile some of that information from military aircraft around the US?

Edit: Oops, meant to quote the accuweather article.
I think it is more of a volume issue. As right now there are 5257 flights in the air around the world. I went back to Feb 12, 2020 around the same time as now and there were 15,192 aircraft in flight. More flights, more information, more often in more areas.

Data pulled from FlightRadar24.com

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Looks like March will come in right about average in terms of the tornado count. The start of April continues to look below average.

andyhb

Reaction score
Most of the first half of April looks dead severe weather wise, may continue beyond that too.

Kory

Reaction score
Most of the first half of April looks dead severe weather wise, may continue beyond that too.
I'm interested how things bounce back once we get the MJO into the Western Hemisphere/Indian Ocean next week (and the subsequent lag in atmospheric response). Looks like it's going higher amplitude too. That may be enough to shake up the pattern going into the latter half of the month. But yeah, the first half looks really quiet.

Kory

Reaction score
I do want to emphasize that our day 5 verification rates on modeling has now been reduced to what we'd see on day 6 to day 7. That's an accuracy reduction to what we'd expect 10-15 years ago! This is mostly due to a lack of data assimilation from aircraft.

We've seen modeling continue to waver on a system next weekend flip-flopping from a suppressed/sheared out mess to a more substantial threat for parts of Dixie. As I've said many times the past couple weeks, DO NOT TAKE ANY MODELING AT FACE VALUE BEYOND 5 DAYS.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I do want to emphasize that our day 5 verification rates on modeling has now been reduced to what we'd see on day 6 to day 7. That's an accuracy reduction to what we'd expect 10-15 years ago! This is mostly due to a lack of data assimilation from aircraft.

We've seen modeling continue to waver on a system next weekend flip-flopping from a suppressed/sheared out mess to a more substantial threat for parts of Dixie. As I've said many times the past couple weeks, DO NOT TAKE ANY MODELING AT FACE VALUE BEYOND 5 DAYS.
spot on there, data is lacking with this crisis going on

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There’s an active Tuesday-Thursday ahead. That looks certain.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Kory

Reaction score
Go figure...GFS is trending toward the euro. Still not there yet, but it looks like a heavy rain/severe wx threat next weekend.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ashamed to admit I still don't know how to read models, so can you explain in English?

Robust severe event late Wednesday into Thursday morning, and two tornado outbreaks Sat/Sun and Tues/Wed in the Southeast states.

andyhb

Reaction score

Well this aged like milk. Certainly have some concerns about what the Euro and UK have been suggesting this weekend for the past several runs now.

Reaction score
Still worth wondering how much impact the relative lack of aircraft data will have on model performance. Pretty much impossible to say though whether that would result in more "false positive" severe threats in the medium range, vice versa, or varies depending on the exact conditions.

Kory

Reaction score
It’s still day 5/6...let’s see if we get model consistency over the next day or two and then we may need to sound the alarms. There’s some ugly solutions for Easter Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back