• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

This severe weather season will be?

• Much Above Average

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Above Average

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Average

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Much Below Average

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NW AL has been included in the SPC Day 5 risk on the Days 4-8 outlook, for Saturday.

Bevo

Reaction score
Days 4 and 5 (Friday 3/27 and Saturday 3/28) have put up 15% probs. Still a ways out so things can always change, as we know. Felt like summer today in Texas already!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 19.47.30.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 19.47.30.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 19.47.42.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 19.47.42.png
    187 KB · Views: 0

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NWS Huntsville mentions maybe a couple strong storms Saturday night but BMX is clearly unimpressed at the moment. A case of the better dynamic support staying too far north to raise too many eyebrows.

amp1998

Reaction score
NWS Huntsville mentions maybe a couple strong storms Saturday night but BMX is clearly unimpressed at the moment. A case of the better dynamic support staying too far north to raise too many eyebrows.
0z model runs are coming in further south with the upper and surface low bringing better dynamic support and lift to support a severe weather risk.

Kory

Reaction score
It looks like the main dynamics begin pulling north and west of Alabama by Saturday. Although it may clip the NW corner. But the system will be weakening by then.

My eye is on next Tuesday...

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It looks like the main dynamics begin pulling north and west of Alabama by Saturday. Although it may clip the NW corner. But the system will be weakening by then.

My eye is on next Tuesday...
Saturday at least looks like some good hailers West Tennessee and damaging wind threat . But Tuesday has higher ceiling

Kory

Reaction score
The usual hype-man Broyles seems kind of subdued on the 4-8 for Tuesday.
From Matt Grantham at BMX.

The suppressed jet stream will affect
the track of a shortwave moving eastward from the Southwest CONUS
on Tuesday. There is quite a difference between models regarding
the evolution of this system due to a split jet stream, but the
trend of ECMWF/UKMET has become quite concerning from a severe
weather standpoint. These models, along with the ECMWF ensemble,
favor strong pressure falls over the Lower/Mid Mississippi Valley
on Tuesday as a warm front and 70 degree dewpoints advance inland
across southern MS/AL. If these trends continue, a tornado threat,
perhaps significant, will need to be added to our HWO. For now we
will wait for more confirmation from other models and future model
runs.

Reaction score
From SPC:

On Tuesday, an upper-level trough is forecast to move quickly into
the Mississippi Valley as a cold front advances eastward across the
Gulf Coast States. Thunderstorms will be possible along and ahead of
the cold front. A few marginally severe wind gusts may occur in
areas that heat up ahead of the front. However, uncertainty is
substantial concerning the timing of the shortwave trough and cold
front.

Again, this from Broyles who historically will use any excuse to talk up tornado potential if he can find one, so that's an odd discrepancy.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The favoritism is more in the EURO/UK camp. The GFS is and probably will continue to trend its way.

Kory

Reaction score
The favoritism is more in the EURO/UK camp. The GFS is and probably will continue to trend its way.
Yeah...like did Broyles even look at the models? Holy cow that was a bad forecast discussion. Zero analysis.

BMX, JAN, and LIX all hit in possibly severe weather (BMX the strongest tornado wording which would be appropriate if looking at the euro and UKMET). They also all talk about discrepancies as the GFS is doing GFS things.

Last edited:

darkskys25

Reaction score
Yeah...like did Broyles even look at the models? Holy cow that was a bad forecast discussion. Zero analysis.

BMX, JAN, and LIX all hit in possibly severe weather (BMX the strongest tornado wording which would be appropriate if looking at the euro and UKMET). They also all talk about discrepancies as the GFS is doing GFS things.
To me this is the best shot we have seen for a tornado threat all year. Of course the last system was an over performer from earlier model forecasts. This has a high celing if youre in the Euro camp. Even when the gfs had the low over central al and the euro on the coast i knew they would shift n. Its 50/50 right now but like Matt said this is one to watch.

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
He's a longtime poster on here albeit he has not been very active since the reboot a couple years ago and he's one of BMX's finest. He's very good.
Yep, he's the real deal. I've been on the forum for many many years (primarily as a reader) and I remember folks like Matt, Fred & Brett before they became meteorologists. Now Matt is with NWS, Fred working the wx enterprise in the TV business and Brett is a paid chaser. Anything that crew shares get's my attention. Years ago I was part of a chase convoy that linked up with Brett.....funny thing as we were positioning for a storm we ended up passing another chaser in the same area (guess who...Matt). Small world :)

Kory

Reaction score
To me this is the best shot we have seen for a tornado threat all year. Of course the last system was an over performer from earlier model forecasts. This has a high celing if youre in the Euro camp. Even when the gfs had the low over central al and the euro on the coast i knew they would shift n. Its 50/50 right now but like Matt said this is one to watch.
I’m still uneasy about going all in especially since we have guidance that isn’t a severe wx threat at all. Granted, it’s the less reliable American guidance, but being within 5 days now and have such drastic differences doesn’t lend a whole lot of confidence. Latest 12z UKMET is a bit of a backpedal from last night’s. We’ll see what the Euro shows in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back