• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive Severe Potential 4/3-4/4

The Nino

Reaction score
I need to stress that potentially significant straight line winds in excess of 70mph are the main threat tonight. That will NOT trigger the sirens, but it can be just as damaging (sometimes even moreso) than a small tornado. There could even be some isolated gusts over 80mph. Relying on the sirens alone isn't a good idea in general, but a particularly bad idea tonight.

are you referring to the Huntsville area I assume from your location or just in general event wide?

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
are you referring to the Huntsville area I assume from your location or just in general event wide?

The event in general. This is more like 4/4/2011 than a tornado outbreak setup. There will be a few tornadoes, perhaps even one or two strong/significant ones, but the wind is the real story here today.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ouch....I won't mention sirens again. No, we don't sound them for winds alone. That being said, we have had NWS transmitter failures and cell phone outages before. Have at least 2 ways to get a warning!

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The HRRR is showing a few supercells breaking out ahead of the around I 20/59/459 areas. That is a bit concerning, but I could see a significant severe wind threat that could become widespread causing tree damage/power outages, especially northwest of Bham, but it could hold together well further south.

amanda90

Reaction score
Getting pretty cloudy IMBY. Would this help stabilize the atmosphere or has the damage already been done as far as destabilization goes?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First tornado warning in northern Arkansas. That next cell to the southwest of it is looking pretty healthy too.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That band of supercells in AR is very impressive, limiting factors notwithstanding. Expected that to go linear but at least for now remains impressively isolated.

Reaction score
That band of supercells in AR is very impressive, limiting factors notwithstanding. Expected that to go linear but at least for now remains impressively isolated.

The tornado warned storm in northern AR is a clear right-mover over the last several frames.

MichelleH

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the northern fringes of Xenia just got hit by a tornado, on April 3 none the less. Was a couplet and clear CC drop. Was on it but it was a green, HP, rain-wrapped mess.

Oh no....reading about Xenia from 1974 was what got me started in weather. (At age 8, I believe)

Kory

Reaction score
Very conducive environment for tornadoes over NE AR, SE MO, W TN, W KY, SW IN, and Southern IL. Deep layer shear vectors are still W/WSW so we should maintain some discrete mode for the next few hours at least.

Reaction score
That Poplar Bluff cell has me concerned.. that's definitely the look of one trying to do something significant.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 515 PM CDT FOR EASTERN
BUTLER COUNTY...

At 506 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located near Poplar Bluff, moving east at 40 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and golf ball size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation. Spotters reported strong rotation
with this storm.

Back