• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I keep thinking I'll go to bed, and then it does things like this.

1598424672547.png

Reactions: KoD
Reaction score
What’s amazing about this storm is that despite the amount of deepening and pressure drops that has happened only on one advisory did the maximum sustained winds increase by more than 5 mph.

Kory

Reaction score
What’s amazing about this storm is that despite the amount of deepening and pressure drops that has happened only on one advisory did the maximum sustained winds increase by more than 5 mph.
Gulf storms seem to take a while to respond to pressure falls. I remember Hurricane Isaac in 2012 landfalled in Louisiana at 965mb. It only had sustained 85mph winds which is unusually low for that pressure.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Is there a correlation between eye diameter and intensification?
Yes inverse relationship. Smaller eye diameter can deepen more rapidly. Latest recon indicates a 28nm eye which is pretty big. It has been contracting which indicates strengthening.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Pray the forecast track is correct.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think folks in Southwest LA would do that.

True, but as far as the number of people affected goes - Laura making the turn as expected is very important.

Kory

Reaction score
True, but as far as the number of people affected goes - Laura making the turn as expected is very important.
Houston has dodged a bullet. This will not be affecting them directly.

Lake Charles long range radar shows Laura is on a NW heading with maybe some NNW wobbles. This is solidly a SW LA landfall.

image0.gif

Kory

Reaction score
Storm surge now forecasted to be 18-20 feet! That is in par with Rita which is the storm of record for SW LA. People south of I-10 in Cameron and Vermillion need to get out. Now.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1598453289387.png

Back