• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Kory

Reaction score
Will north Alabama see any severe weather Friday when what’s left of Laura passes through middle Tennessee?
I have a feeling yes. This could also be a prolific wind maker well into TN/KY as it hooks East and becomes baroclinically enhanced from an approaching trough.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1598401281467.png

Latest NHC fix is 25.0N 89.0W, so right where the little red dot is. Fully wrapped up now.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looks "better" every frame - but I truly wish we were not seeing what we are seeing.

1598404475776.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Check the individual storms firing in that remaining dry slot. Laura is really putting on a show tonight. I tend to make myself stop looking at the mesoscale floaters and step back to see the big picture from time to time. The scale of this storm has to be seen to be appreciated. Check out the outflow on Laura. This storm has almost everything she could possibly ask for.

1598405751896.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
5mb in about 6 hours. What's the definition of RI?

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Rapid intensification, also known as RI, is roughly defined by the NHC as an "increase in the maximum sustained winds of a tropical cyclone of at least 30 kt in a 24-hour period." Rapid intensification is often coupled with a rapid decrease in a storm's minimum pressure, and thus RI is also known as rapid deepening. However, the NHC maintains its own definition of rapid deepening, which would be a drop of 1.75 mbar/hour or 42 mbars in a day.

Back