• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Dorian

Reaction score
The models are still messy, but it seems the ensembles are a bit tighter, and to my eye, shifting back west a tad. This makes sense based on what Kory posted, in this image, the UKMET is an outlier to the west.View attachment 1993

I could be wrong, but I still feel the ridge will be much stronger than expected and the system will go much farther west into the Gulf. Obviously not the most likely scenario given the forecast for there to be a weakness in the ridge, but I really don't feel they have the overall forward speed of the storm down. This system to me will move much farther west.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The uncertainty here is paramount, as depicted by the latest NHC forecast cone.
145103-5day-cone-no-line-and-wind.png

While I don't think this is the likely scenario, it's depicted as a possibility that the storm grazes the Florida Keys and loops around to landfall at the Appalachian Bay South of Tallahassee. The degredation of obvious steering currents leads to immense unpredictability at this point. I certainly wouldn't want to be the NHC or FEMA at this point..

My personal prediction for the past 2 days has been a south Miami landfall, track across the peninsula and a northern turn before reaching the GOM. With a small trough sliding between two ridges & the upper ridge over the Fl peninsula adding shear then weakening, only time can tell.

Kory

Reaction score
The NHC cone of error is a fixed distance from forecast points based on a running average of past forecast track error. It does not expand or contract based on forecast uncertainty.

Reaction score
I could be wrong in this hypothesis, but I would think the sooner it moves westward, the better chance it has to gain further longitude westward and dip southward before gaining latitude later and turning north.

Jacob

Reaction score
Latest Euro never makes a landfall in Florida, stalls it off the coast and then turns north.

Evan

Reaction score
Latest Euro never makes a landfall in Florida, stalls it off the coast and then turns north.

Hopefully that run becomes more of the future concensus. I certainly don't envy the NHC in this situation. I think it will take several consistent runs from competing models before they'll shift their forecast away from a Florida landfall. Too much at stake to prematurely downplay Dorian as a landfall risk to Florida, and I'm sure you agree.

My concern is that the EPS earlier today still has 20 members with a track into the Gulf. A huge portion of Dorian's track is going to be highly dependent upon how strong the ridge is, exactly where it sets up, and how much/where it first begins to weaken.

And, with Dorian's current path being somewhat influenced by his intensity, relatively minor deviations right now in his strength/track may be more significant down the road when he's hunting for a weak spot in the ridge to exploit.

Really challenging forecast with a good number of potential solutions still remaining. Next few days are going to be quite interesting.

TornadoFan

Reaction score
From the NHC's latest forecast discussion:

The models have not been very
consistent from run to run in terms of the timing of the northward
turn, but there are more models now indicating that the turn could
occur near the east coast of Florida instead of well inland. Given
this latest change, the NHC forecast has been shifted just a little
to the right at this time, but users should be prepared for
additional adjustements to the left or right depending on future
model trends.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
This imagery is from several hours ago but it’s still a really cool visulization.

Gorgeous, but gosh, that's a lot of energy boiling around in there!

Am really hoping for the last-minute recurve out to sea.

Still, per 5 p.m. EDT Melbourne FD:

While a Day 4 landfall is currently forecast (avg track error arnd
150mi), it is becoming increasingly likely that east central Florida
Peninsula will experience a prolonged hurricane event due to the
weakening steering flow, as the official forecast indicates Dorian
will take two days to travel from the northern Bahamas to the I-10
Corridor.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Going full-on buzzsaw right now, eye perfectly symmetrical. Has looked like Hugo all day but might start looking more like Andrew for a bit overnight. Expect some ERCs in the coming days to broaden the wind field a bit though... meaning a larger trouble area for wind and surge wherever it winds up on the coast

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Gorgeous stadium effect setting up. Shame this cycle might peak overnight (can't see it ramping up too long without an ERC) as it would make some phenomenal visible shots.

View attachment 1995
Dangerous and beautiful!!

Back