• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Hurricane Season

How active do you think the 2020 Hurricane Season will be.

• Below Average Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average Year

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Above Average Year

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There is another area already in the Gulf that popped up this morning they are looking at.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
The tropics look like a mess. 2020 just continues to be a mess. Here we go!

two_atl_0d0.png

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looking pretty active today too, including the organization of a potential depression off the east FL coast heading westward into the GOM.

Kory

Reaction score
Looking pretty active today too, including the organization of a potential depression off the east FL coast heading westward into the GOM.
Yep, 96L looks very healthy in the Bahamas. Surface Obs indicate a broad LLC. SHIPs intensity gets this up to a category 1 before landfalling on the central Gulf Coast. Might seem bullish but the upper level conditions are really good ahead of this thing. I think we might have some surprises.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And there's already another wave coming off of Africa behind 95L. It's like a Cape Verde assembly line.

Last edited:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The curse of 2020 continues.... added this map to show potential areas of sustained development potential (made that up myself)

1599848779110.png

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If 96L becomes Sally before 95L then we may have a major Teddy coming for us later.

Reaction score
Looks like we have a tropical depression or storm East of Florida.

Someone get the thread going.

Although unlikely given it being elongated, I would at least have some worry about rapid intensification. We saw what happened with Laura in such a short amount of time and this system will be moving over the area of the Gulf that is even warmer than the area Laura moved over.

Kory

Reaction score
Although unlikely given it being elongated, I would at least have some worry about rapid intensification. We saw what happened with Laura in such a short amount of time and this system will be moving over the area of the Gulf that is even warmer than the area Laura moved over.
Some models are indicating rapid intensification before landfall in LA/MS region.

Kory

Reaction score
I’m definitely alerting my family in Louisiana to start prepping for a hurricane. Model trends as well as observational trends are showing a more southerly track meaning more time over water with a center relocation.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Even if it’s not a hurricane, this one looks like it could be a major flooding risk.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m definitely alerting my family in Louisiana to start prepping for a hurricane. Model trends as well as observational trends are showing a more southerly track meaning more time over water with a center relocation.
Looks like the NHC agrees with you.

150347_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
As Dave Barry wrote at the time, they started naming them after fraternities/sororities when regular names ran out in 2005. :)

And as a side note, looks like Paulette had better put up a "no smoking" sign.

NWS Portland tweeted a few days ago that smoke (lots more than shown in this model of a different situation) got wrapped up in the remnants of TS Genevieve, but they couldn't find any effects it might have had and they called for more research.

Kory

Reaction score
Although most models take Teddy out to sea, there are still a few that bring it to New England and the Canadian Maratimes.
I think Teddy has about as close to zero of a chance of affecting the US as you can get. Now, the storm that might develop in the Western Gulf, that’s a different story.

Back