• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Whoops, I missed a group of photos from around the Tiffin area, near the start of the path. These are all from the same property.

A before and after of the family's home:

Two of the family cars destroyed:

Their barn and other assorted wreckage:

Wow, that vehicle damage, those concrete pillars ripped up, and that debris granulation is very impressive. And of course, this tornado only has an F3 rating in the official database. Many of the Palm Sunday outbreak tornadoes are very underrated.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Pretty impressive video from Palm Sunday in Elkhart County. I've seen it posted on a couple different Youtube accounts but I didn't see it in this thread:

Similarly impressive video from the Rainbow Lake tornado, shot immediately south of Shipshewana:

Not a ton here, but this is from Shelby County, OH (the Swanders-Maplewood F4):

6 Mile Rd in Comstock Park:

Also just noticed I had this one saved but tbh I don't think I've actually watched it yet lol. Doesn't say where it's from; if it's any good I may try to find out:

The Crystal Lake Historical Society has several videos as well:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Wow, that vehicle damage, those concrete pillars ripped up, and that debris granulation is very impressive. And of course, this tornado only has an F3 rating in the official database. Many of the Palm Sunday outbreak tornadoes are very underrated.
Yeah, it's amazing how many of the Palm Sunday tornadoes were underrated, overshadowed or both. I've really gotta revisit it eventually.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Bunch of photos from the Swanders-Maplewood, OH F4 - the train cars thrown from the B&O tracks near Swanders:

Damage to a property north of Sidney:

Near the very beginning of the track in Fort Loramie:

Some more damage between Sidney and Maplewood:

Reaction score
Don't feel like going back through every previous post on it, so I'll just hope I'm not reposting anything. Just looking through my Flint-Beecher folder and a few caught my eye, especially the vehicle damage:

Way back in the thread Flint was discussed and I posted this YouTube video. The sheer amount of mangled cars is crazy:

My previous post on it:

Another poster's previous post on it, with more vehicle damage. The car with the engine removed impaled/wrapped around a tree is the standout:

Last edited:
Reaction score
While on the topic of violent Michigan tornadoes I might as well bring up Hudsonville 1956 as somehow it hasn't come up on this thread. This thing was surprisingly well-documented for its time by numerous magazines.

1. The remains of a home where a man and his young son were killed. Vegetation around the bare foundation was scoured from the ground and the fallen tree trunk behind the home was debarked and stripped of branches. Much of the furniture and debris from the home was found more than a quarter mile away. Amazingly, the homeowner’s wife and daughter survived the tornado, though both were critically injured. (Image by Thelma Bakker)

Hudson 1.png

2. Extreme damage to cars near Port Sheldon Street. The mangled car at right originated from a home where four fatalities occurred. (Images by Thelma Bakker)

Hudson 2.png

3. Aerial view of F5 damage to two homes along 40th Avenue. The tornado’s narrow path was made visible by streaks of pronounced wind rowing, an indication of extreme intensity. Similar wind rowing was photographed throughout the tornado’s damage path.
Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 22-29-44 Hudson 3 png (PNG Image, 1254 × 656 pixels).png

Sources:

1. https://extremeplanet.wordpress.com...est-tornadoes-ever-recorded-pre-1970-part-ii/

2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/50000032@N03/

Attachments

• Hudson 1.png
    Hudson 1.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Hudson 2.png
    Hudson 2.png
    803 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Some more Hudsonville photographs. Note the extreme ground scouring and debris granulation from this thing.

Also in the last picture you can see how narrow and defined the core from this thing was, note the obliterated building near the road in the center right of the photo with a granary tower still standing.Hud_4.jpgHud_5.jpgHud_6.jpgHud_7.jpgHud_8.jpgHud_9.jpgHud_10.jpg

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
While on the topic of violent Michigan tornadoes I might as well bring up Hudsonville 1956 as somehow it hasn't come up on this thread. This thing was surprisingly well-documented for its time by numerous magazines.

1. The remains of a home where a man and his young son were killed. Vegetation around the bare foundation was scoured from the ground and the fallen tree trunk behind the home was debarked and stripped of branches. Much of the furniture and debris from the home was found more than a quarter mile away. Amazingly, the homeowner’s wife and daughter survived the tornado, though both were critically injured. (Image by Thelma Bakker)

View attachment 10372

2. Extreme damage to cars near Port Sheldon Street. The mangled car at right originated from a home where four fatalities occurred. (Images by Thelma Bakker)

View attachment 10373

3. Aerial view of F5 damage to two homes along 40th Avenue. The tornado’s narrow path was made visible by streaks of pronounced wind rowing, an indication of extreme intensity. Similar wind rowing was photographed throughout the tornado’s damage path.
View attachment 10374

Sources:

1. https://extremeplanet.wordpress.com...est-tornadoes-ever-recorded-pre-1970-part-ii/

2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/50000032@N03/
That first pic is still one of the cleanest sweeps I’ve ever seen. Wind-rowing and total obliteration of a structure is one thing, but a total lack of debris pattern at all is something that is rarely seen. Even the tile flooring was apparently gone at that residence.

atrainguy

Reaction score
I've often wondered why powerful tornadoes used to be a fairly common occurrence here in Michigan, and then they just stopped happening in the 70s. Not that I'm disappointed, of course, it's great not having a Beecher 2.0 or another Palm Sunday Outbreak. Just interesting how violent tornadoes were fairly common around here for a while, and then they basically just stopped happening in the late 70's (I believe the last F4s were in 1977, IIRC). Occasionally an F3/EF3, but even those we haven't seen in 9 years now.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Damage from the 2006 Westminster TX tornado. The wheel axles are from a trailer that was tossed around 530 yards.
1631825052169.jpeg
Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-45-20 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png
Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-45-08 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png
Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-44-56 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png
Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-48-27 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-45-20 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 15-45-20 Westminster, TX Damage Photos.png
    966.6 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Damage from the 2006 Westminster TX tornado. The wheel axles are from a trailer that was tossed around 530 yards.
View attachment 10384
View attachment 10385
View attachment 10386
View attachment 10387
View attachment 10391
Might as well toot my own horn here and link to my previous post on this beast from another long since dead thread:

The ground scouring from this thing was phenomenal, somehow it got slapped with an F3 rating.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
More Westminster photos that I find extremely impressive. If this is F3 damage then please shoot me.
Westminster-F5-damage-vegetation.JPG
Assorted vehicle parts with completely shredded and debarked vegetation.

house.JPG
Well-built house swept completely away. Reminds me of Bridge Creek

Westminster-scouring.JPG
Tremendous ground scouring. No grass left and clumps of dirt pulled up.

Westminster-F5-damage-scouring.JPG
Clumps of dirt (closer view)

buckeye05

Reaction score
View attachment 10384
View attachment 10385
View attachment 10386
View attachment 10387
View attachment 10391
That stormtrack thread where one of the surveyors elaborates on his rationale for the F3 rating makes me want to pull my hair out. If they were trying to ascertain the lowest feasible wind speed a house could potentially fail at, even if very unlikely, while completely ignoring overwhelming contextual evidence of a violent tornado, they did a great job.

If the goal was to accurately determine the wind speed of a tornado by examining the available evidence (You know, like the actual intended purpose of the scale? Crazy idea I know), then they failed miserably.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
One thing that to be fair, I have not determined regarding Westminster, is if any of the slabbed homes were anchor bolted to their slabs. If not, the contextual damage alone still puts it solidly within the violent category, but if they were, it makes the already absurd rating even more egregious.

Does anybody know? I hesitate to say that this tornado slabbed “well-built” homes because of this.

Reaction score
One thing that to be fair, I have not determined regarding Westminster, is if any of the slabbed homes were anchor bolted to their slabs. If not, the contextual damage alone still puts it solidly within the violent category, but if they were, it makes the already absurd rating even more egregious.

Does anybody know? I hesitate to say that this tornado slabbed “well-built” homes because of this.
I wouldn't be shocked considering how violent that tornado was. I say F5 myself because of the overwhelming extreme context. The houses were probably well-built but I am not 100% sure of that. However, fixtures, pipes, and other household items were violently ripped from the foundation and that even moves me toward an F5 rating.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Only thing I've seen is this video at about the 1:04 mark, but unfortunately the video is too dark to conclusively tell.

With that said, I do believe it's at least fair to say that considering the extreme contextual damage, the tornado was more than capable of causing F5 damage to well-built homes.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked considering how violent that tornado was. I say F5 myself because of the overwhelming extreme context. The houses were probably well-built but I am not 100% sure of that. However, fixtures, pipes, and other household items were violently ripped from the foundation and that even moves me toward an F5 rating.
I just don’t believe that an F5 or EF5 rating should be given in any situation where there is a lack of anchor bolting, regardless of context. Not saying that’s definitely the case here, but it is possible.

I’d also be careful about putting to much weight on the removal of plumbing features, as I don’t know of any study or case where plumbing damage was used as basis for an F5 or EF5 rating. I do know it was used as anecdotal support in Smithville, but there was already an immense amount of additional evidence that screamed EF5.

Last edited:
Back