• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

buckeye05

Reaction score
Looks like there was a significant tornado in Mongolia yesterday. 30 injuries, including 3 critical. Again showing that China is likely much more active tornado wise than previously though. I would love to hear from some of our posters in China if they have any info about this event!

Reaction score
Found some really high quality photographs from the 1953 Flint-Beecher F5. The damage path was, or at least the core of it, was very narrow and the distance between complete destruction and things basically untouched is pretty startling.
Homes in the F5 contour:
View attachment 4259
Note the homes essentially untouched in the background
View attachment 4260
View attachment 4263
Some vehicles
View attachment 4261
View attachment 4262
View attachment 4275
View attachment 4265
Can't quite tell if this is a vehicle or not. Regardless, it was mangled
View attachment 4266

The photos above are taken from both the Detroit Public Library digital collection as well as from the Flint Public Library digital collection.

This link also collects the photos from the Time-Life series and it's quite extensive:
https://artsandculture.google.com/entity/1953-flint–beecher-tornado/m0ll44p9

I can remember some time ago when a lot of the photos from the Time-Life series were available online. I believe the 1955 Udall tornado was photographed extensively as a part of the series as well and those pictures, which were awesome, have disappeared off the internet. Massive bummer, honestly.
Some more pics from Flint:

These first two show that low-lying shrubs were completely stripped:

Flint 1.png
Flint 2.jpg

This next one is an aerial of the devastation, every single one of the 40 homes was swept completely clean:

Flint 3.png

Another aerial demonstrating that the tornado had a complex multivortex structure:

Flint 4.png

This demonstrates the extraordinary intense core of the damage path:

Flint 5.jpg

A video of aftermath footage from Flint, contains a huge amount of wrecked and mangled cars:

I found all these pics from stormstalker, which provide an excellent write up of the 1953 outbreak in America, the deadliest post-radar until 2011: https://stormstalker.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/flint-worcester-outbreak/
The admin of this site used to post under the name 'locomusic01' not sure if he's still around anymore or not.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
I saw an FB page proclaiming it to be the Kennard, IN tornado but I doubt it, I think it's of Brandenburg due to the hilly topography, as Indiana is much more flat. On the other hand, I thought Brandenburg was rain-wrapped for much of its path, but maybe I read wrong.
You know honestly it could be Kennard. There is a photo of the Kennard tornado in Significant Tornadoes, and it doesn't look too far off from this. Southern Indiana is actually quite hilly as well.

Also yeah, Brandenburg was rain-wrapped at times, but was also visible at times as well from what I understand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 1919 Fergus Falls, Minnesota tornado is another tornado that often isn't talked about as much. It did some pretty impressive damage, the most notable being a 3-story hotel that was completely leveled.

1. The Grand Hotel before the tornado.View attachment 4254

After:

View attachment 4255

The debris-filled Lake Alice:

View attachment 4257

A bunch more photographs can be found here: https://www.weather.gov/fgf/1919_06_22_FergusFallsTornado
Thie Fergus Falls tornado was a 1/4 mile-wide. Not an overly wide tornado but that damage is extreme. The New Richmond and Flint tornado also did some very extreme damage.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Looks like there was a significant tornado in Mongolia yesterday. 30 injuries, including 3 critical. Again showing that China is likely much more active tornado wise than previously though. I would love to hear from some of our posters in China if they have any info about this event!

The tornado ran into a densely populated area but not very strong.It struck some Mongolian yurt which poorly-anchored or even no anchoring.A EF2 rating will be applied several days later.
2e97803d29a2847a.jpg-457d34d57d3bb5b6.jpg-70773e03018058f2.jpg-4922721659e6f7d8.jpg5de3a9ae81cd1e7d.jpg
Here's a crazy footage inside the tornado

I heard the same day another much stronger tornado hit HeiLongJiang Province,has't got any photo yet.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Hey guys,I just found some crazy damage from the 2013 moore OK EF5, looks like a horse whose skin was mostly peeled off,this level of damage only can match Jarrell F5 or loyal valley F4 in my memory.
IMG_20200814_004225.jpg
The place where those dead horse lying was the Celestial Acres I guess,The car damage ground scouring and low lying shrubs damage right here was extremely violent,some of the most violent F/EF5 I've ever seen.-65ed78f20ef5f4a8.jpg-4a53aaef4b7c2e9b.jpg
22e74b507a02d514.jpg-16a4ef899fdc2d9b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hey guys,I just found some crazy damage from the 2013 moore OK EF5, looks like a horse whose skin was mostly peeled off,this level of damage only can match Jarrell F5 or loyal valley F4 in my memory.
The place where those dead horse lying was the Celestial Acres I guess,The car damage ground scouring and low lying shrubs damage right here was extremely violent,some of the most violent F/EF5 I've ever seen.View attachment 4296View attachment 4297
View attachment 4294View attachment 4295
Jarrell supposedly did similar things to around 300 or so cattle, never seen pictures of what (and don't really want to) but it's rare I've seen photographs of dead animals in tornado aftermath pics, although New Richmond threw a horse 2 miles and there's a pic of that that's easily available.

Reaction score
The tornado ran into a densely populated area but not very strong.It struck some Mongolian yurt which poorly-anchored or even no anchoring.A EF2 rating will be applied several days later.
View attachment 4287View attachment 4288View attachment 4289View attachment 4290View attachment 4291
Here's a crazy footage inside the tornado

I heard the same day another much stronger tornado hit HeiLongJiang Province,has't got any photo yet.

It seems like China, Mongolia and Russia get quite a bit tornadoes, but due to the sparse population of their interiors they aren't as readily documented as those in the states. That said, with more and more people having access to smartphones, I wonder if in the coming decades we'll see more and more footage of tornadoes from these areas of the world.

Reaction score
Sorry to go back to old topics but New Richmond and Fergus Falls were extremely violent tornadoes, and were likely the most intense ever documented in each of the respective states they occurred in.

New Richmond almost entirely swept away a large residential area of town (a previous poster already showed pictures of this), carried a safe weighing over 1 ton a full block, and leveled/partially swept away a large multi-story hotel.

Fergus Falls may have been even more violent. It completely debarked trees, swept away a train station, and even ripped railroad tracks from the ground at one location. That is VERY impressive. In addition, large and well-built homes were swept completely away in residential areas of town, with the the ground being pretty much swept clean of debris. Such a clean sweep in such a densely populated area is pretty remarkable. This is visible in the background of the panorama below, though you have to enlarge it to see. It's easy to miss because of the lack of debris, but check out the large the completely wiped clean foundations where large homes once were.
Fergusfallsmin1919.jpg

Oh and Flint was pretty monstrous too. Maybe not quite as impressive as the other two mentioned above due to all the photos showing poor foundation construction, but again, very impressive given the population/building density.
Railroad tracks being ripped from the ground is something I've heard quite a bit from older tornadoes, Sherman and Tri-State being other examples, but I've yet to actually find photographs of it. I will say this, the material of rail nowadays is virtually impossible to break which is why you don't hear about rails being ripped up anymore.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Jarrell supposedly did similar things to around 300 or so cattle, never seen pictures of what (and don't really want to) but it's rare I've seen photographs of dead animals in tornado aftermath pics, although New Richmond threw a horse 2 miles and there's a pic of that that's easily available.
I remember having watched a video shows some cows' heads had been cut off and their body completely dismembered afted the Red rock F4,I still kept the link of this video but it's no longer available.Another unbelievable case was the F4 tornado occurred in Shanghai on 9/24/1956, a cow's head was thrown 15 miles away where the body was found.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I got two pics of a headless hairless dog after the Jarrell tornado,If that's bloody and gross for you,ignore my reply
1719715c40a0c57b844805d9d52ef471.jpg-249fdf09821481f8a9f56281e7f9fead.jpg

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member

Robinson lee

Reaction score
The violent tornado in Mongolia in 2014 killed a large number of animals. According to some news reports, the head of cattle disappeared, and the cattle hide disappeared

Attachments

• content_photo.jpeg
    content_photo.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 0

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Who has the photos of the damage of Franklin F4 tornado in Kansas in 2003? Some people say it's a tornado F5. Because of this, I've always been fascinated by it

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Man, you've found some impressive pics of Andover, it's amazing how difficult it is to find damage photos from the areas where it did the most extreme damage and earned its moniker.
You mean the Golden Spur Mobile home park? I watched some videos and that's just piles and piles of debris which were completely torn apart and then re-mixed together when viewing from the ground.Just judging the debris patterns and the level of granulation,surely It was one of the most violent tornado on Great Plains.
IMG_20200814_225815.jpgIMG_20200814_225901.jpg
Some other car damage from various place
IMG_20200814_214521.jpg
IMG_20200814_220233.jpg
IMG_20200814_222545.jpgIMG_20200814_222953.jpg
home that swept clean before the clean was done.
IMG_20200814_221021.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
I think he's referring to the multiple well built and anchor-bolted brick homes that were swept cleanly away in Andover. There just aren't many clear pics of this, but it did happen in a few areas. Here's a complete aerial flyover of the damage path though, with the most severe damage starting at about 11:17

In addition this video shows severe, significant scouring of lawn grass at 1 minute in. At around 1:16 , you can see grass pulled of the ground and such severe scouring that only bare soil is left behind in one spot. This kind of phenomenon definitely does seem to be limited to the most violent of tornadoes.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I think he's referring to the multiple well built and anchor-bolted brick homes that were swept cleanly away in Andover. There just aren't many clear pics of this, but it did happen in a few areas. Here's a complete aerial flyover of the damage path though, with the most severe damage starting at about 11:17

In addition this video shows severe, significant scouring of lawn grass at 1 minute in. At around 1:16 , you can see grass pulled of the ground and such severe scouring that only bare soil is left behind in one spot. This kind of phenomenon definitely does seem to be limited to the most violent of tornadoes.

I get it. I do remember several videos show aerial footages of those large,well-bulit FR12 got completely swept away, also remember extremeplanet the F5 rating was applied for two of those houses.
PS: I can no longer get to extremeplanet,Is the website unavailable now?

Reaction score
I get it. I do remember several videos show aerial footages of those large,well-bulit FR12 got completely swept away, also remember extremeplanet the F5 rating was applied for two of those houses.
PS: I can no longer get to extremeplanet,Is the website unavailable now?
You can access extremeplanet.me via the Wayback Machine, I do hope it doesn't expire for good, not sure what happened to Max.

Back