• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

UK_EF4

Reaction score
On the 8th anniversary of the Pilger tornado family thought I’d share some of the pretty intense damage left behind by the 2nd EF4 in this family, the Pilger tornado. In my opinion this tornado probably had winds in the EF5 range during its passage through the town, almost every building impacted by this tornadoes narrow core was completely obliterated including a large church that was swept cleanly away. Ground scouring, debris granulation, tree debarking, and wind-rowing of debris also occurred.

View attachment 14542
View attachment 14543
View attachment 14544
View attachment 14545
View attachment 14551
View attachment 14552
View attachment 14553
View attachment 14554
View attachment 14555
I feel like often when truly violent (EF4/mostly EF5 tornadoes) go through an area it sort of gets that 'look'. Mud caked buildings and vehicles, intense wind rowing, little visible debris, dark muddy fields. This tornado definitely had that.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
On the 8th anniversary of the Pilger tornado family thought I’d share some of the pretty intense damage left behind by the 2nd EF4 in this family, the Pilger tornado. In my opinion this tornado probably had winds in the EF5 range during its passage through the town, almost every building impacted by this tornadoes narrow core was completely obliterated including a large church that was swept cleanly away. Ground scouring, debris granulation, tree debarking, and wind-rowing of debris also occurred.

View attachment 14542
View attachment 14543
View attachment 14544
View attachment 14545
View attachment 14551
View attachment 14552
View attachment 14553
View attachment 14554
View attachment 14555
Out of all the controversial tornado ratings that have been discussed before, I’m surprised that this one hasn’t gained much attention because this is clearly EF5 damage.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Out of all the controversial tornado ratings that have been discussed before, I’m surprised that this one hasn’t gained much attention because this is clearly EF5 damage.
The context to me seems like pretty clear EF5 damage, like you said. I think most of the homes in the higher context were quite small and didn't have connections per DAT. I think it is probably hard to justify an EF5 rating post 2011 without proper anchoring. The church seems a bit different, I don't know anything about engineering or construction so can't make a very insightful comment really. Some debris on the foundation is still there, but contextual damage here and especially in the background is very intense. Probably quite borderline but could see EF4/190 being justified, but again I'm completely unqualified and unknowledgeable in engineering and home construction. 1655406022398.png

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member

View attachment 14542
View attachment 14543
View attachment 14544
View attachment 14545
View attachment 14551
View attachment 14552
View attachment 14553
View attachment 14554
View attachment 14555

View attachment 14542
View attachment 14543
View attachment 14544
View attachment 14545
View attachment 14551
View attachment 14552
View attachment 14553
View attachment 14554
View attachment 14555
The ground scouring of this thing was definitely EF5 level, here' s what it looks like in and out of town
004425n4nzwrtf2e2kkefz.jpg132103a109tuee39te7nh9.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
The context to me seems like pretty clear EF5 damage, like you said. I think most of the homes in the higher context were quite small and didn't have connections per DAT. I think it is probably hard to justify an EF5 rating post 2011 without proper anchoring. The church seems a bit different, I don't know anything about engineering or construction so can't make a very insightful comment really. Some debris on the foundation is still there, but contextual damage here and especially in the background is very intense. Probably quite borderline but could see EF4/190 being justified, but again I'm completely unqualified and unknowledgeable in engineering and home construction.
Speaking of which, I was reading through a 2008 paper on the Hudsonville outbreak recently and I noticed Grazulis was one of the reviewers. One of the things he sort of took issue with was the paper definitively labeling Hudsonville as an F5 (it's F4 in the book but the description mentions it "probably reached F5"). Among his other comments, he also said: "Slab construction homes may never get a '5' rating again."

I found all of that interesting for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that he seems to share the more conservative/strict rating philosophy that's been developing in recent years. Since he said he saw no compelling evidence to assign Hudsonville an F5, I have to assume that also means he doesn't give much weight to contextual damage (which, as in Pilger, was pretty extreme).

Anyway, didn't wanna go too far down the rating rabbit hole but it popped into my head.

Reaction score
I found all of that interesting for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that he seems to share the more conservative/strict rating philosophy that's been developing in recent years. Since he said he saw no compelling evidence to assign Hudsonville an F5, I have to assume that also means he doesn't give much weight to contextual damage (which, as in Pilger, was pretty extreme).
Ah.

That'd explain his Vilonia assessment.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
The context to me seems like pretty clear EF5 damage, like you said. I think most of the homes in the higher context were quite small and didn't have connections per DAT. I think it is probably hard to justify an EF5 rating post 2011 without proper anchoring. The church seems a bit different, I don't know anything about engineering or construction so can't make a very insightful comment really. Some debris on the foundation is still there, but contextual damage here and especially in the background is very intense. Probably quite borderline but could see EF4/190 being justified, but again I'm completely unqualified and unknowledgeable in engineering and home construction. View attachment 14556
A lot of the homes in Pilger were constructed on CMU foundations with no anchor bolts although one home did actually have anchor bolts however they were too widely spaced. The damage to the church was extreme, trees and shrubs were also completely debarked and ground scouring occurred as well. Vehicles were thrown hundreds of yards into fields northeast of town as well including a giant piece of debris (I think it might’ve been from the grain bins but I’m not sure?). But yeah Pilger was definitely a lot more intense than people realize.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score

buckeye05

Reaction score
There was at least one house in a rural area outside of Pilger that seemed like an EF5 candidate. It was a well-anchored home with a poured concrete basement foundation. It had closely-spaced anchor bolts, and was totally obliterated and swept clean. The subfloor was torn off and blown away, and extreme contextual damage occurred within the vicinity.

Problem is, the aftermath photo clearly shows a pickup truck that slammed into the foundation stem wall with such force that it bent and cracked the stem wall, obviously resulting in major structural issues. If there’s a classic example of collateral damage ruining a likely upgrade, it’d be that house and truck.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Extreme damage produced by the Stanton EF4, the first tornado in the Pilger family.
View attachment 14571
View attachment 14572
View attachment 14574
View attachment 14573
View attachment 14575

The extremely impressive tree damage credited to the Pilger East EF4, however, it is worth noting this occurred where the Pilger and Piger East paths intersected.
View attachment 14576View attachment 14578
View attachment 14577
That first tree damage photo stacks up pretty well against some of the most violent debarking photographed (Bridge Creek, Joplin, Bassfield, Louisville, Moore, Buckeye, Hackleburg, Vilonia, ect).

locomusic01

Reaction score
Got a rough path done for Ruskin Heights; one area of interest is east of Ottawa/south of Wellsville, where it's possible there may've been a break. The rest of the path(s?) is definitely continuous though.

Az1rRMt.jpg

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Extreme damage produced by the Stanton EF4, the first tornado in the Pilger family.
View attachment 14571
View attachment 14572
View attachment 14574
View attachment 14573
View attachment 14575

The extremely impressive tree damage credited to the Pilger East EF4, however, it is worth noting this occurred where the Pilger and Piger East paths intersected.
View attachment 14577
@pohnpei once mentioned those extreme tree debarking were almost done by Pilger east alone, Pilger west was about 500 yards away from the debarking area at the closest proximity, so that's why put Pilger east as a EF5 candidate for sure
Krista Giese has a collection for that grove of trees.
172059g7coi7t2b6x70hg1.jpg192250u83see36qnls8f98.jpg192306unvccmmbrc2ncsjo.jpg192312tbal6u6y5bfy952f.jpg192322tkq1hq93zaoeok6k.jpg192329r6j35885kc3kxki3.jpg
here's what the aerial looks like at the farm hit by Pilger east, you can find some completely debarked trees to the left of the photo
014111nn5xaepjexq5xjjo.jpg

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
View attachment 14571
View attachment 14572
View attachment 14574
View attachment 14573
View attachment 14575

View attachment 14577
The first and fourth pic you posted were at the same location, here's what it lookd like immediately after the tornado went through, the stone steps was ripped off the foundation and cracked, trees in front of the house and across the road all suffered from severe debarking
011306h9393mpx9wxx3ax3.jpg
011756jo21i322wicdwzsq.jpg
A closer look of one of the mutilated vehicle
011918iqmlb1ns1fikn11b.jpg
And a combine embedded into the mud
174807z1qhhghria1no1hn.jpg
here's some extreme low lying shrubbery damage at the end of the path, note how the ground was scoured.
mmexport1655406716139.jpg
mmexport1655406720334.jpg
mmexport1655406720334.jpg

Attachments

• mmexport1655406716139.jpg
    mmexport1655406716139.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
Back