• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

andyhb

Reaction score
Yeah, Fosterburg/Bunker Hill was a nasty tornado, storms that day were moving at 60+ mph and this was in the morning hours (like before 9 am local time).

This whole sequence was a part of the same very active March pattern that yielded the famous Fawbush/Miller tornado forecast at Tinker AFB due to the tornadoes in the OKC area on 3/20 and 3/25.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Buckeye, do you think there’s a possibility that some nws surveyors could release some damage pictures of april 27 that we have never seen before?
I have know way of knowing, but it’d be great if they did. I mean MEG pulled all of their Smithville photos, and it’d be nice if they’d at least put them back.

speedbump305

Reaction score
I have know way of knowing, but it’d be great if they did. I mean MEG pulled all of their Smithville photos, and it’d be nice if they’d at least put them back.
I heard from some source that the funeral home foundation of the funeral home was deemed unusable. i have no idea what way they were putting it

Reaction score
Yes! We probably won't get around to it until next year, though, but that is on our ever-growing list of summaries that we want to do. Right now, the priority is Super Outbreak; we still have many events that we are working on for the 10th anniversary. Super Outbreak articles will continue to be dripped out through May. After that, we will be releasing a minimum of three new summaries per month, in addition to updating and revamping all of the prior summaries. My hope is we will have a deep dive for Vilonia in time for the anniversary next year. It is one of the events that I am itching to get to.
So tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the 1991 Great Plains Outbreak, the one that spawned Andover and Red Rock, among others. Do you think you'll ever do anything concerning some of the other tornadoes of that outbreak? I know you have an article on Andover but it'd be nice to have more information on the other tornadoes from that outbreak (especially Red Rock).

WIL9287

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the 1991 Great Plains Outbreak, the one that spawned Andover and Red Rock, among others. Do you think you'll ever do anything concerning some of the other tornadoes of that outbreak? I know you have an article on Andover but it'd be nice to have more information on the other tornadoes from that outbreak (especially Red Rock).
We do have some of them on our list!

Last edited:

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Tomorrow's gonna be the 30th anniversary of the infamous 1991 Great Plains Outbreak. Can't wait for you guys to publish some rare, never before seen photos or information. I'll just set the ball rolling
A collection of the Red Rock tornado
IMG_20210426_234722.jpg
-77f98231fc8d878991cf5e8535aec4a0.jpg
-4ea21f1489664284c5eeaf4fe80b8617.jpg
18782c6945779d2e97fc2dc0a33fd43a.jpg4e308f3b211b48f5ab872d46a611ce95.jpg
Some colored damage photos I've published before
-4d06cef8fa2951ae1ef9baf251b3d803.jpg6178679ae4461bb570a05e9239519d63.jpg-5e6a0e0e0e841021e3f752003e5df88.jpg
-24e59e2ca78b05c1124fb4c9d8629f80.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tomorrow's gonna be the 30th anniversary of the infamous 1991 Great Plains Outbreak. Can't wait for you guys to publish some rare, never before seen photos or information. I'll just set the ball rolling
A collection of the Red Rock tornado
View attachment 9314
View attachment 9302
View attachment 9303
View attachment 9304View attachment 9305
Some colored damage photos I've published before
View attachment 9306View attachment 9307View attachment 9308
That Warren Faidley pic I remember from an old book of his; first time I've seen it on the Internet.
Come to think of it, his books have quite a few photographs that I've never seen anywhere online.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Pohnpei once posted a collection of Andover car damage in this forum on Page 7 (except one of them actually came from Red Rock) here's the link
I myself posted two more car damage on Page 46. Some other talk related to Andover can be found on the same page.
IMG_20210426_232428.jpgIMG_20210426_232517.jpg
IMG_20210426_232504.jpg
Another car damage in downtown Andover?
aafb5e87f4e38194b2f66ee7adcf22e.jpg
Maybe local high school damage
-60413eccc37e22e39489b88e22b45656.jpg

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Two months ago I published this home video under another topic though little attention had been paid to. It's a home video shot near Cassoday KS, which shows the final stage of Andover F5, and mintues later, the beginning stage of Kansas Turnpike/El Dorado Lake F2 (the one that chased the news crew on highway). I will never ever forget the gorgeous and sculpted structure how the supercell presented. Some clip of this home video was shown on Tornado Classic Volume 3
3b5d2fce3cfd6074d4a56f41e98ef865.jpg

What's the exact strength of this monster when it left Andover still remains a mystery. It is said that the following aerial pic was shot near Cassoday KS but I highly doubt the facticity. The same pic was quoted by extremeplanet if I recall correctly, and, according to their words, the actual F5 rating was given right here for sweeping away two well-anchored FR12.
-7b73f1b4ed20c3c04d990a4e2c7873eb.jpg
Here's some other pics that you may not see everyday
IMG_20210426_232642.jpgIMG_20210426_232733.jpgIMG_20210426_231837.jpgIMG_20210426_232040.jpg-302a193bdd3b11792d6db3958ac888cd.jpg

Reaction score
Pohnpei once posted a collection of Andover car damage in this forum on Page 7 (except one of them actually came from Red Rock) here's the link
I myself posted two more car damage on Page 46. Some other talk related to Andover can be found on the same page.
View attachment 9315View attachment 9316
View attachment 9321
Another car damage in downtown Andover?
View attachment 9317
Maybe local high school damage
View attachment 9320
Yeah, I posted some pics of Red Rock and other tornadoes from that outbreak from Storm Data before:

I know the impaled tire in pohnpei's collection is from Red Rock, makes me curious as if it mangled a vehicle to pieces or not.

Those last two photos you posted are interesting, especially if from Andover. For whatever reason it's rather difficult to find damage photographs from the town where the tornado got its name and the hardest hit areas.

Reaction score
Two months ago I published this home video under another topic though little attention had been paid to. It's a home video shot near Cassoday KS, which shows the final stage of Andover F5, and mintues later, the beginning stage of Kansas Turnpike/El Dorado Lake F2 (the one that chased the news crew on highway). I will never ever forget the gorgeous and sculpted structure how the supercell presented. Some clip of this home video was shown on Tornado Classic Volume 3
View attachment 9323

What's the exact strength of this monster when it left Andover still remains a mystery. It is said that the following aerial pic was shot near Cassoday KS but I highly doubt the facticity. The same pic was quoted by extremeplanet if I recall correctly, and, according to their words, the actual F5 rating was given right here for sweeping away two well-anchored FR12.
View attachment 9324
Here's some other pics that you may not see everyday
View attachment 9325View attachment 9326View attachment 9327View attachment 9328View attachment 9329

Here's synced footage of Andover tornado from the many different angles it was caught:

Part 2 is the most incredible as the tornado's rapid intensifcation and transition from stovepipe to multivortex wedge while going through McConnell AFB was videotaped by several different people at the same time.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Here's synced footage of Andover tornado from the many different angles it was caught:

Part 2 is the most incredible as the tornado's rapid intensifcation and transition from stovepipe to multivortex wedge while going through McConnell AFB was videotaped by several different people at the same time.

Yes, Andover's tornadogensis is unique I'd say. Usually you got a stove pipe like that in its initial stage, and it may wedge out or just turn into a long rope. But for Andover, it switched its single-vortex like pattern into a multi-vortex pattern after it became mature (and a little bit erratic). I haven't seen any other tornado can evolve like that.

Reaction score
Yes, Andover's tornadogensis is unique I'd say. Usually you got a stove pipe like that in its initial stage, and it may wedge out or just turn into a long rope. But for Andover, it switched its single-vortex like pattern into a multi-vortex pattern after it became mature (and a little bit erratic). I haven't seen any other tornado can evolve like that.
What's interesting is that in its stovepipe phase it got crooked for a bit (like it was about to rope out) then it straightened itself out and blew up into multivortex mode while going through the airport. I think while in stovepipe phase it encountered a downward draft of air just before it entered the base and that more or less forced it to become an intense wedge. Perhaps the tornado would have dissipated if not for that air draft.

Reaction score
April 26, 1991 was THE tornado outbreak talked about in every publication and TV documentary throughout my childhood, much like Andrew was THE tropical cyclone. Those two events went a long way toward shaping my interest in severe weather, despite the fact that I was many hundreds of miles from experiencing either of them.

Reaction score
It's not the best quality, but I've found a photo of the Oologah tornado. This one is really interesting to me. It may not have been the strongest tornado of the day, but it was still a violent tornado in an area that's normally pretty much a dead zone for violent tornadoes. The houses that were swept away weren't very well-built, but in my opinion enough buildings were either completely flattened or swept away, and the damage to trees and vehicles was intense enough to warrant its F4 rating. What interests me is how there have been very few F4/EF4+ and not a lot of F3/EF3+ tornadoes in the northeast corner of Oklahoma. I'm guessing that would have to do with the local geography, but I'm not really sure.

Attachments

• Oologah.jpeg
    Oologah.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
It's not the best quality, but I've found a photo of the Oologah tornado. This one is really interesting to me. It may not have been the strongest tornado of the day, but it was still a violent tornado in an area that's normally pretty much a dead zone for violent tornadoes. The houses that were swept away weren't very well-built, but in my opinion enough buildings were either completely flattened or swept away, and the damage to trees and vehicles was intense enough to warrant its F4 rating. What interests me is how there have been very few F4/EF4+ and not a lot of F3/EF3+ tornadoes in the northeast corner of Oklahoma. I'm guessing that would have to do with the local geography, but I'm not really sure.
My previous post on it: https://talkweather.com/threads/significant-tornado-events.1276/page-52#post-48967

Other user's posts on it:

1. https://talkweather.com/threads/significant-tornado-events.1276/page-52#post-48820

2. https://talkweather.com/threads/significant-tornado-events.1276/page-51#post-48318

Back