• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Marshal79344

Good lord, there are hundreds of photos from this thing. Pages 1-3 of this thread have some, this blog is a great starting point: https://stormstalker.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/tri-state-tornado/
Yeah, that is probably the most thorough of a summary of the Tri-State-Tornado I've ever seen. I've noticed that the Jackson County Historical Society seems to have a lot of high-definition photos of that thing which is what I'm mainly after, but here's some photos I've found from personal research without stormstalker:
Annapolis
19250318ANNAPOLIS.PNG

Griffin:
19250318ANNAPOLIS.PNG
19250318GRIFFIN2.PNG
19250318GRIFFIN3.PNG
19250318GRIFFIN4.PNG
19250318GRIFFIN5.PNG

Murphysboro
19250318MURPHYSBORO.PNG
19250318MURPHYSBORO2.PNG

Attachments

• 19250318GRIFFIN.PNG
    19250318GRIFFIN.PNG
    306.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 19250318ANNAPOLIS.PNG
    19250318ANNAPOLIS.PNG
    387.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 19250318GRIFFIN5.PNG
    19250318GRIFFIN5.PNG
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

Marshal79344

A lot of newspapers had the same famous photo of damage in West Frankfort in altered versions but here's the most HD one I could find
19250318WESTFRANKFORT7.PNG

More West Frankfort
19250318WESTFRANKFORT2.PNG
19250318WESTFRANKFORT3.PNG
19250318WESTFRANKFORT4.PNG
Planks from obliterated homes lay across the ground outside of West Frankfort
19250318WESTFRANKFORT6.PNG
That's all that I managed to find from hours shifting through online archives of newspapers. Poor people in the path had no chance. One reason that made this tornado incredibly deadly was not only its incredible power, but the fact that it was partially obscured with low LCL heights, as shown by witnesses in Annapolis describing it as a "thick black fog cloud" with a tremendous roar, and not recognizable as an actual funnel at some points. Also, the tornado severed all telegraph communications to cities in the path so residents had no kind of warning of what was approaching until it was right there. The tornado happened to be on a trajectory where multiple large cities were in its path also, a worst-case-scenario

Robinson lee

[QUOTE =“ Juliett Bravo Kilo,帖子:48196,成员:1077”]
这是Barrie完全拉平的工厂之一。在工业园区中每20个中就有16个以类似的方式被留下:

View attachment 4709

另一张从地面上看到的工业场后果的照片:

View attachment 4710
[/引用]
Yes, I believe that if MBS in EF system is used to evaluate the damage of this factory, dod7-8 can be obtained

Austin Dawg

That's all that I managed to find from hours shifting through online archives of newspapers. Poor people in the path had no chance. One reason that made this tornado incredibly deadly was not only its incredible power, but the fact that it was partially obscured with low LCL heights, as shown by witnesses in Annapolis describing it as a "thick black fog cloud" with a tremendous roar, and not recognizable as an actual funnel at some points. Also, the tornado severed all telegraph communications to cities in the path so residents had no kind of warning of what was approaching until it was right there. The tornado happened to be on a trajectory where multiple large cities were in its path also, a worst-case-scenario

I read that before. They said a lot of people killed were farmers which is not typical because they are so in tune with the weather but evidently did not recognize it was a tornado. That storm always fascinated me and I always wanted to make a documentary about it with historical information, along with modern data and opinions from meteorologists. Now that I am retired after over 20 years in video and film I would really enjoy producing it if I could secure the photos, data, reference materials, access to people in the field, funding, help to sort things, etc.

Marshal79344

Today' s the 15th anniversary of the Stoughton WI F3 occurred on 8/18/2005.Another potential violent tornado, narrow but andover-like violent motion was evident as it went into downtown Stoughton.Numerous FR12 got completely destroyed or leveled though a close inspection shows the missing of some anchors in some houses.Ground scouring can be clearly seen outside town.Would like to go a 165—170mph rating
View attachment 4408View attachment 4409
View attachment 4415
View attachment 4410
View attachment 4416
View attachment 4411
View attachment 4412

View attachment 4413
View attachment 4414
1602296054964.jpegThis picture is of the 2017 Perryville Tornado, an aerial of the area where it clipped the northernmost suburbs along Moore Road and Kingshighway Highway.

A lot of newspapers had the same famous photo of damage in West Frankfort in altered versions but here's the most HD one I could find
View attachment 4737

More West Frankfort
View attachment 4736
View attachment 4738
View attachment 4739
View attachment 4740

So, here's a useful resource for Tri-State photos that sadly is only accessible via the Wayback Machine now:

1. https://web.archive.org/web/20160913180314/http://genealogytrails.com/ill/jackson/cahill_photos.htm

2. https://web.archive.org/web/20160913180334/http://genealogytrails.com/ill/jackson/picoftornado.htm

3. https://web.archive.org/web/20160913045125/http://genealogytrails.com/ill/jackson/tornado1925.htm

4. https://web.archive.org/web/2016091...rails.com/ill/jackson/1925tornado_shauna.html

View attachment 4737

More West Frankfort
View attachment 4736
View attachment 4738
View attachment 4739
View attachment 4740
Here's a bunch of photos from Jackson County, Illinois:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Besides these two images does anyone else have any other images from the Oologah, OK EF4 on April 26, 1991
View attachment 4776
View attachment 4775
I think some are here, assuming you can get the pics to open:

I've been trying to find pics of the schoolbuses thrown 3/4 of a mile into a creek nearby, pretty crazy considering the path length is only 4 miles.

Screenshot_2020-08-15_Storm_Data.png

Someone in a separate chat managed to find the long-lost footage from KWTX of the Jarrell tornado evolving from its initial rope stage to a full blown violent wedge and needless to say I'm trying to get him to upload it because it was incredible. Here's the reel of screenshots from it.

View attachment 4803

This sheriff's dashcam video contains the transition from rope to wedge, not as good but might as well post it:

I forgot the values of CAPE or wind shear that day in Texas Panhandle,but atomsphere state that day was really suitable for regional tornado outbreak even violent tornado outbreak with great instability and low level shear.According to some resources,pampa hadn't reached to the ground until a new wall cloud formed to its east.As pampa was strengthing and tearing through local industrial park,a new funnel beneath that wall cloud took shape which eventually became the hoover tornado.Pampa and Hoover "coexisted"about six mintues and then pampa slowed down,circled around hoover and dissipated according to Chuck Doswell.
Out of curiosity, what caused Pampa to become stationary for several minutes as it was over the industrial park?

DDM

Someone in a separate chat managed to find the long-lost footage from KWTX of the Jarrell tornado evolving from its initial rope stage to a full blown violent wedge and needless to say I'm trying to get him to upload it because it was incredible. Here's the reel of screenshots from it.
Wow. I'd be very interested in seeing that. That's like the holy grail of tornado footage.