• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 18-20th, 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
They also leaning more of a damage wind threat .
The 19th systems storm mode will depend on how tight the low is. Wind profiles support more of a discreet storms mode than linear on the 19th. But unless those winds back which is kindve hard with a huge "untight" low pressure over Arkansas it'll stay a damaging wind threat. But we will see lot of time for it to change.

JPWX

Reaction score
SPC is always on the fence about something. Last week was on the fence about instability and we see how that turned out.
Yeah last Thursday's threat was only suppose to be a damaging wind threat with only a few isolated tornadoes. Now, I'm not criticizing SPC or anyone, but you have to look at every aspect other than instability. We know here in Dixie Alley that you can have big outbreaks with less than 1000 CAPE and strong wind shear. Not keep saying lack of instability will be the main limiting factor for a more robust threat.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Wow. 12z euro is close to have a classic Miller A snowstorm for the south on the 22nd... May have to make a thread eventually.

Would Like to see consensus between the GFS and euro though

UK_EF4

Reaction score
How bad does it look?
500wh.us_sc.png

850wh.us_sc.png

sfctd_b-imp.us_sc.png

nam_2023011518_075_area_34.24-35.0.-91.65--90.66.png

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
With @UK_EF4 posts earlier your probably gunna have a pretty darn good setup somewhere between Louisiana and Alabama some Arkansas Tennessee as well. Just where the finite details line up. The backing of the winds is impressive. I'd say somewhere in the deep south between Louisiana and Alabama your going to have. A very good tornado setup likely will shift some as we move forward but my guess is that it's Mississippi turn for this day 4 event. Just throwing this out there synoptically your best setup so far this January....

Your liable to see a very sizeable jump in parameters once you get into the cams. Saw it with the last event. This one could be a doozy. Probably a bit more west than your typical Dixie alley setups (Alabama/Mississippi) but the eastern extent will be inside of it.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Don't threaten me with a good time. The Delta in MS, AR, and LA is the best place to chase in Dixie Alley. Flattest land with least amount of trees and most visibility.
I'd go for it personally waiting on the 00z nam, I think this has potential for a eventual moderate risk by day 1. This lighting density is skewed instability will reach further north with more storms north in north Mississippi. Cams will show this when in range. But it's a very discreet storm mode when you start to reach into East Louisiana and Arkansas. Missippi should be the hotzone. Timing will of course play a role though in instability coverage but with dewpoint near 65 reach close to mid missippi/ north Mississippi instability will not be a issue more so just models not catching on. us_model-en_modez_2023011512_81_522_547.pngus_model-en_modez_2023011512_80_522_547.pngus_model-en_modez_2023011512_88_522_547.pngus_model-en_modez_2023011512_87_522_547.png

JPWX

Reaction score
Back