• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 18-20th, 2023

KevinH

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of people's mindset has shifted from forecaster to observer since what happened in Alabama the other day.

I've gotten pretty good at nailing down what days severe weather will occur in a generalized area in the long range based on ingredients/patterns......but trying to predict the intensity, scale, and storm mode of a system on day 1 and day 2 in Dixie Alley is so damn difficult.
Yep… Dixie Alley is a pain in a forecaster’s money maker. Even more so (at sometimes) for a warning coordinator. So tough.

Sometimes you think you know what is likely to happen, and the it either changes at the last minute, or doesn’t happen.

OR, you may not know what happens (regardless of what forecast models, analogs say) until it happens.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
18z is just plain nasty. Btw the 21st; 7 days no issue with instability a lot of meteorologists won't be getting sleep for a few days. The 7 day out actually could turn into a good snow event for portions of the south if it goes more southeast. Crossing my fingers

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Show us some GIFs (or pics)!

What do you mean about the 21st?
gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_fh102-198.gif
Two possible robust weather events would be a long few days for meteorologists. Second low near the end the gif could be a snow producer for the south if it dug more southeast.

A *miller A* if you want to look it up generally your souths best chance at snow

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I swear central AL always has a target on its back SMH
Second system may impact your area typically does if it goes the snow route haha. It'll take a few days for models to really iron out the differences and see if it shifts more south east or northwest with it's ejection. It'll be a close call with temps though barely on freezing

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Trend of the surface low from the last 2 runs of the GFS, clear trend to a more southern ejection. Still rather far out almost at voodoo range as James spann would say. But your close to that 6-7 day range for the second event so I'll keep looking at it.

For example a 300 mile change northwest or southeast for the ejection means a a snow threat or a robust severe threat. OOF.gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh186_trend (2).gif

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
Second system may impact your area typically does if it goes the snow route haha. It'll take a few days for models to really iron out the differences and see if it shifts more south east or northwest with its ejection. It'll be a close call with temps though barely on freezing
FWIW: I live in Columbus, GA, right on the AL/GA border.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I wish I knew how to read the second graphic lol
It's basically the accuracy to the current forecast values based on current modeling. An 1 in any column means it matches up very well. To the analog value on that event day. So the closest the column is to a 1 the more similar event it is to this one which would pay close attention to. This event is about a 11/15 on the top 15 analogs so its decent but not the best

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I wish I knew how to read the second graphic lol
One thing I take of note based off current modeling and and the cips is the dew points. What I was saying before instability and mositure don't add up. To what's forecast and values on those top 15 analogs. With almost all of them at about 50% off on accuracy.

KevinH

Reaction score
It's basically the accuracy to the current forecast values based on current modeling. An 1 in any column means it matches up very well. To the analog value on that event day. So the closest the column is to a 1 the more similar event it is to this one which would pay close attention to. This event is about a 11/15 on the top 15 analogs so its decent but not the best
Oh

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Not buying the below 500cape that the 12z euro and the low cape the 18z GFS forecast. With around a 65 dewpoint into central Alabama. It doesn't add up. Can't wait for this system to get on shore in the next day or two in California to give some better data. Just doesn't add up, maybe modeling is overdoing the atmosphere thinking it's worked over..? 65 dewpoints can support a good chunk of instabiliy. Just not buying it until I see the Nam say otherwise when it gets in range. This isn't the 1st rodeo.

KevinH

Reaction score
Not buying the below 500cape that the 12z euro and the low cape the 18z GFS forecast. With around a 65 dewpoint into central Alabama. It doesn't add up. Can't wait for this system to get on shore in the next day or two in California to give some better data. Just doesn't add up, maybe modeling is overdoing the atmosphere thinking it's worked over..? 65 dewpoints can support a good chunk of instabiliy. Just not buying it until I see the Nam say otherwise when it gets in range. This isn't the 1st rodeo.
We know better.

Hey Dixie: you ain’t slick lol

Fool me once….. ha ha ha

Back