• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 18-20th, 2023

Reaction score
Yea not gonna lie my mindset is a little different after today. We can't count out any system until day of.....at least until forecasting models improve.

I had gotten used to making bold forecasts that ended up being right more than half the time. Today definitely brought me back down to Earth.

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
:)

500wh.conus.png

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Looks like one heck of a squall line directional shear is very linear, atleast on the euro it does, GFS is a completely different story. Looking for consistency between the globals

Reaction score
Euro and GFS both show a front pushing through with Thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon/evening. Still a long ways off but I think its safe to say that there will be at least a few storms that have severe potential in the United States on Wednesday. Just no way of telling how widespread yet. Might as well go ahead and get in front of it.

Already pulling some decent soundings from it.

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
Euro and GFS both show a front pushing through with Thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon/evening. Still a long ways off but I think its safe to say that there will be at least a few storms that have severe potential in the United States on Wednesday. Just no way of telling how widespread yet. Might as well go ahead and get in front of it.
Gotcha

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
12z GFS is a pretty good look for a tornado/discreet threat may change, hopefully it does. 500mb placement is really good for westerlies , surface low is good placement for backed surface winds. The lack of cold front may aide in the discreet mode.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Id honestly be hard pressed to say this isn't the best tornado/discreet look so far synoptically than the last two events lol.

The last two events I should add that have broken the state record in total number of tornadoes in January all time for Alabama. And it's only the 13th.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
What's really worrying me is how on the 17th a surface low comes through and almost primes the engine ; thermodynamics wise for the major secondary low a day or two later.. just check the dewpoints.. I really hope people start shifting gears soon and start covering this event.

Back