• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Got a nice thread going with discussions involving weather weenies, professional meteorologists, meme posting, East Germany and now a photoshopped image of Broyles inside the Jarrell tornado. Impeccable. Even if tomorrow doesn't make it into the record books, this thread certainly will.

Brice W

Reaction score
Got a nice thread going with discussions involving weather weenies, professional meteorologists, meme posting, East Germany and now a photoshopped image of Broyles inside the Jarrell tornado. Impeccable. Even if tomorrow doesn't make it into the record books, this thread certainly will.
Hey man it’s better than Twitter.

jiharris0220

Reaction score

While this could very well be the case, I can’t help but question a more longer track tornado solution.

The 200mb jet will be very strong across the warm sector, 100-120knots perpendicular to the dry line I imagine would ventilate rain shafts out away from the mesocyclones preventing cold pooling causing outflow dominance.

The holographs leads credibility to this as they show no signs of VBV in the mid levels.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hey man it’s better than Twitter.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just here to relax and enjoy it. If TW was turning into weather twitter, there'd be quite a few more colorful words being thrown around right now, and I don't think the mods will allow that to happen anytime soon...

Brice W

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm just here to relax and enjoy it. If TW was turning into weather twitter, there'd be quite a few more colorful words being thrown around right now, and I don't think the mods will allow that to happen anytime soon...
Yeah I know lol, all of us are here to relax and enjoy it, the mods do a great job. Shoutout to them!

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I think the main potential "fly in the ointment" type concern I have isn't what a particular CAM does or does not show.... but how high the dewpoints are going to have to be in the warm sector tomorrow afternoon in order for the LCL/LFC heights to not be too high for cool RFDs/cold pooling/outflow dominance because of how warm some of the models get the projected afternoon temps in order to weaken the cap. Many of these high res models get temps into the 87-92 range in the warm sector tomorrow. That might mean big CAPE, but that also means 73+ dewpoints are needed to keep the LCL/LFC heights and dewpoint depressions manageable... and that's not an easy thing to have a large an expansive warm sector full of, even in late May in Oklahoma. It's not unachievable, but those initial supercells on 5/6 going up back west with temps in the low/mid 80s but dewpoints barely scraping 64-66 was one of the big earlier on failure points.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I think the main potential "fly in the ointment" type concern I have isn't what a particular CAM does or does not show.... but how high the dewpoints are going to have to be in the warm sector tomorrow afternoon in order for the LCL/LFC heights to not be too high for cool RFDs/cold pooling/outflow dominance because of how warm some of the models get the projected afternoon temps in order to weaken the cap. Many of these high res models get temps into the 87-92 range in the warm sector tomorrow. That might mean big CAPE, but that also means 73+ dewpoints are needed to keep the LCL/LFC heights and dewpoint depressions manageable... and that's not an easy thing to have a large an expansive warm sector full of, even in late May in Oklahoma. It's not unachievable, but those initial supercells on 5/6 going up back west with temps in the low/mid 80s but dewpoints barely scraping 64-66 was one of the big earlier on failure points.
That's definitely something I noticed that could be an issue, but I've mostly been seeing mid-high 80 temps and mid-70 dews, which should be enough for storms imo. The dewpoints we've seen the past few days in the region were also in the mid-70s, so nothing really tells me that the same thing won't happen Saturday too.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
That's definitely something I noticed that could be an issue, but I've mostly been seeing mid-high 80 temps and mid-70 dews, which should be enough for storms imo. The dewpoints we've seen the past few days in the region were also in the mid-70s, so nothing really tells me that the same thing won't happen Saturday too.
Deeper in the warm sector, that's true, but several models are showing that's not necessarily the case at all back closer to the dryline where storms will initiate and spend their first hour or so.... and probably where it's most critical for them to not encounter high dewpoint depressions for too long.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
My area is mostly in between the 5 to 10 degree dewpoint difference than the temperature.
The dewpoint depression/LCL-LFC concern is much more of an Oklahoma thing than in your area. Your dewpoints may not be as high as south central Oklahoma tomorrow, but your temperatures won't be as warm as Oklahoma either.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
So could my area end up being under the gun tomorrow?
Your area is at threat already. That's why there's already a sigtor-driven Day 2 MDT Risk up into south central and east central Kansas that you are firmly included within, as of midday today. While the composite parameters might not be as apocalyptic looking there as they are in Oklahoma on the models, a somewhat cooler dewpoint and sfc temp combo (along with cooler 700mb temps to coincide with it) may allow for not only the cap to break up there, but for it to be easier to have lower LCL/cloud base heights and RFDs that don't cold-pool and undercut the inflow quickly.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I guess having a morning time cumulus deck near the dry line would help in keeping temps from becoming to hot and prevent over mixing, although likely not going to happen considering air will be dry at that time.

Reaction score
Your area is at threat already. That's why there's already a sigtor-driven Day 2 MDT Risk up into south central and east central Kansas that you are firmly included within, as of midday today. While the composite parameters might not be as apocalyptic looking there as they are in Oklahoma on the models, a somewhat cooler dewpoint and sfc temp combo (along with cooler 700mb temps to coincide with it) may allow for not only the cap to break up there, but for it to be easier to have lower LCL/cloud base heights and RFDs that don't cold-pool and undercut the inflow quickly.
My high temperature tomorrow is 86.0°F and OkC is 89.0°F. Could this potential outbreak be nocturnal as I see temps and dewpoints within a couple degrees of each other. i have looked into the Joplin 2011 tormado and the high temperature that day was 84.0°F and the highest dewpoint was 72.0°F. The temperatures dropped to like 68.0°F or 69.0°F with a dewpoint of 65.0°F or 66.0°F as the tornado was obliterating Joplin.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I guess having a morning time cumulus deck near the dry line would help in keeping temps from becoming to hot and prevent over mixing, although likely not going to happen considering air will be dry at that time.
The "best" outcome for the supercells to be able to do their thing tomorrow afternoon is for us to have enough daytime heating to get temperatures up into the range to where we're not breaking the cap from reaching the convective temp, but along with subtle large scale ascent, we've gotten it weakened enough that focused low-level convergence ahead of the dryline can take over from there with specific updrafts. That would give us a cap breakage, but one that wouldn't promote quick upscale, and it would give us manageable dewpoint depressions and LCL/LFC heights, while also still having a bit of capping left to have space out storms.

That's the "best case scenario" from the point of view of the supercells wanting to do their thing. It remains to be seen how close to or how far away from that scenario we end up being.

Reaction score
The "best" outcome for the supercells to be able to do their thing tomorrow afternoon is for us to have enough daytime heating to get temperatures up into the range to where we're not breaking the cap from reaching the convective temp, but along with subtle large scale ascent, we've gotten it weakened enough that focused low-level convergence ahead of the dryline can take over from there with specific updrafts. That would give us a cap breakage, but one that wouldn't promote quick upscale, and it would give us manageable dewpoint depressions and LCL/LFC heights, while also still having a bit of capping left to have space out storms.

That's the "best case scenario" from the point of view of the supercells wanting to do their thing. It remains to be seen how close to or how far away from that scenario we end up being.
Can it ever be too hot for a violent tornado to occur?

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
My high temperature tomorrow is 86.0°F and OkC is 89.0°F. Could this potential outbreak be nocturnal as I see temps and dewpoints within a couple degrees of each other. i have looked into the Joplin 2011 tormado and the high temperature that day was 84.0°F and the highest dewpoint was 72.0°F. The temperatures dropped to like 68.0°F or 69.0°F with a dewpoint of 65.0°F or 66.0°F as the tornado was obliterating Joplin.
Whether the storms tomorrow are nocturnal or not will be determined by when the upper forcing arrives and at what point during the day does the cap (from a combination of both large scale ascent aloft and heating in the low-levels) become weak enough that low-level convergence can send updrafts successfully through it. It's not going to be determined by exact specific surface temperatures and dewpoints. There's way more to the atmosphere than what happens only at the surface, especially in storm initiation. The temp-dewpoint spread is going to help determine the characteristics and behavior of those storms, but it's not going to be the sole determining factor, and it's not going to be the specific factor that determines when the storms form.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
While everyone is focused on tomorrow's threat, I'm still seizing every opportunity to give in to my compulsion be a hoarder preservationist of tornado videos. Been doing this since 2019 and it's still going strong.

Please send help

Attachments

• hello talkweather.jpg
    hello talkweather.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 0

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Can it ever be too hot for a violent tornado to occur?
Yes, easily, when the low-level temperatures are too warm compared to the low-level dewpoints so that the cloud bases end up too high.... for the reasoning that's already been discussed here over the past several minutes.

Back