• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Okay, it's time for more footage from this outbreak.

First, the Mountain View, MO EF3. In the first video, the best view of the tornado starts at about the 50:40 mark:

This footage is probably my second favorite from the outbreak after the incredible (and terrifying) Valley View gas station footage. The location is given as "near Decatur" so my guess is it's the first EF3? Could be the EF2 that struck the city proper, not really sure.

Hate to toot my own horn again, but might as well post this one too. Again nothing spectacular, but it's from a doorbell camera probably facing the same tornado as the previous footage. Of course I had to "de-vertical video-ize" it:

OhOkayThen

Reaction score
@tornado examiner please quit badgering NWS Paducah on Twitter about the Eddyville/Dawson Springs rating. It makes all of the rest of us look bad, thanks.

Yeah, Paducah has definitely been one of the more conservative offices I have seen over the last few years, but I think they really stepped things up with this last event. Their messaging was great and they pretty much left no stone unturned putting warnings out and spending the whole day warning the public. I was critical of them a bit (not publicly) on the Mayfield tornado coverage, but just because a tornado wasn't EF-4 doesn't mean you bash an office. At then end of the day that doesn't mean much to the average person. They saw a destructive tornado and that's what will stick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, Paducah has definitely been one of the more conservative offices I have seen over the last few years, but I think they really stepped things up with this last event. Their messaging was great and they pretty much left no stone unturned putting warnings out and spending the whole day warning the public. I was critical of them a bit (not publicly) on the Mayfield tornado coverage, but just because a tornado wasn't EF-4 doesn't mean you bash an office. At then end of the day that doesn't mean much to the average person. They saw a destructive tornado and that's what will stick.
I thought a mid to high-end EF3(150 mph to 165 mph)rating was correct for Dawson Springs, KY tornado . I was a little surprised that some of the homes in Greenfield got rates low-end EF4. I am not exactly sure it didn't appear to be any kind of anchoring to the houses and one was on cinderblocks and given a 175 mph EF4 rating. Like I said not the most sure but I would think other NWS offices would have rated them like a 155 to 165 mph EF3.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought a mid to high-end EF3(150 mph to 165 mph)rating was correct for Dawson Springs, KY tornado . I was a little surprised that some of the homes in Greenfield got rates low-end EF4. I am not exactly sure it didn't appear to be any kind of anchoring to the houses and one was on cinderblocks and given a 175 mph EF4 rating. Like I said not the most sure but I would think other NWS offices would have rated them like a 155 to 165 mph EF3.
Probably cause they were built well enough to get an ef4 rating given contextual damage.

Kds86z

Reaction score
IMG_0598.jpegMakes me sad. Before April 26 we had 6 fatalities for the year. Now 37. Thought it was gonna be one of those way below average years for deaths. That escalated. And just the scope of how many states affected.

RandomBlue

Reaction score
Info on the tornados that hit Arkansas early morning 5/26:

image.png

Source: https://www.4029tv.com/article/map-arkansas-tornadoes-radar/60950995

Back