• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

A Guy

Reaction score
Yeah, but you can never rule out an EF5 tornado that has a path length of less than 1 mile.

Edit...However it has gotten almost to the point to say why should we even have an EF5 rating.
I don't know what the shortest path for a violent tornado is, but the shortest I have in my speeds database is Granbury at 2.5 miles.

There are a lot mistakes in the SPC database - there was an F4 that hit Oil Trough, Arkansas with an offical length of 0.4 miles that Grazulis says was 5 miles. You see a lot of older path widths with numbers like 10 yards or 40 yards. I suspect in those cases a zero has gone missing. The irritating thing is that these are fixed in stone for no reason whatsoever (yet somehow the Super Outbreak gained an extra F5 years later).

There's also interesting problems with more recent tornadoes - the offical max width of the 2006 Crosstown F4 is 225 yards (it was bigger than that) and I've seen references to 'skipping' tornadoes as late as 2008 (I haven't looked later).

And yes, we may as well not have an EF5 category. I'm not the kind who wishes for one, but I want a spade called a spade.

Last edited:

Cood101

Reaction score
Wow...so none of the damage from the long tracker in kentucky was even close to ef4. Why did nws Paducah feel the need to call a qrt?
I'm not sure what you are referring to? I'm checking the Paducah NWS survey page as well as their social media accounts. I see nothing about a finalized rating yet. Currently at 160MPH EF3.

Reaction score
The one home that was a candidate for ef4 was the home built on a poorly constructed cinder block foundation with no decent connections. Tree damage near the home isn’t impressive at all. That's why I said “no where near close to ef4” I thought they’d found other slabbed homes that were in contention for ef4…but it was just that one lol.

Back