• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Maxis_s

Reaction score
While everyone is focused on tomorrow's threat, I'm still seizing every opportunity to give in to my compulsion be a hoarder preservationist of tornado videos. Been doing this since 2019 and it's still going strong.

Please send help
Archiving everything is a good idea. So much has become lost media due to lack of archives.
Are there any specific tornado videos you're after, whether that be a specific video or any footage from a specific date or tornado?

Reaction score
Yes, easily, when the low-level temperatures are too warm compared to the low-level dewpoints so that the cloud bases end up too high.... for the reasoning that's already been discussed here over the past several minutes.
I know that but like just temperature in general. From what I have seen when violent tornadoes do occur when there is a big spread in temperature and dewpoint they tend to be skinnier than a low spread in temperature or dewpoint.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I know that but like just temperature in general. From what I have seen when violent tornadoes do occur when there is a big spread in temperature and dewpoint they tend to be skinnier than a low spread in temperature or dewpoint.
You're answering your question already by explaining that, and it completely agrees with the answer I was giving you. :) The answer is yes, and that's why.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'll be headed to the Hoover Met for the LSU v SC BSB game [Geaux Tigers] at noon. So I guess I'll get outbreak updates in the middle of & between innings and hope we don't get our own weather delays. We're 50% & marginal.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Generally speaking, if you researched long enough, I think you'd find that once you get surface temperatures up above 86 or 87 degrees, your climatology for violent tornadoes likely starts to gradually (and then rapidly closer to 90+ degrees) drop off, simply because of how much harder it is to have the kind of low-level moisture necessary to keep cloud base heights low enough to be favorable for violent tornadoes in the face of temperatures that warm.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
So a maxed out PDS watch on one day and a 45% tornado risk on the other day... interesting.
Very very VERY generally speaking, I think you're a little bit more likely to get a 6z upgrade over here in Dixie Alley than some of the Plains events... and I think a lot of it comes down to uncertainty from their proximity to the EML/capping source region compared to us. The vast majority of Alabama's High Risk issuances since they began that outlook scale in 1982 have come at the predawn Day 1 issuance time. There have been exceptions to that, but not many.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
I may be out on a loop here, but I notice looking through the cams that how warm it gets during the day and therefore severity of overmixing, is seemingly correlated to how thick the cirrus deck is modeled.

Hrrr has a thicker cirrus deck, which keeps temperatures in the warm sector “cool” which mitigates a lot of the overmixing.

Notice the two model runs, 00z and 03z, the cirrus cloud deck is thicker and more expansive on 00z, which prevents dew points from dropping. While 03z has thinner cirrus clouds in northwestern Oklahoma, and that’s exactly where the dew points drop below 60.

The nam has far less cirrus clouds present so it has a lot more overmixing than even the hrrr, although this is simply a hunch.
1716613094910.png1716613115593.png
1716613208065.png1716613234100.png

Attachments

• 1716613185523.png
    1716613185523.png
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 0

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I may be out on a loop here, but I notice looking through the cams that how warm it gets during the day and therefore severity of overmixing, is seemingly correlated to how thick the cirrus deck is modeled.

Hrrr has a thicker cirrus deck, which keeps temperatures in the warm sector “cool” which mitigates a lot of the overmixing.

Notice the two model runs, 00z and 03z, the cirrus cloud deck is thicker and more expansive on 00z, which prevents dew points from dropping. While 03z has thinner cirrus clouds in northwestern Oklahoma, and that’s exactly where the dew points drop below 60.

The nam has far less cirrus clouds present so it has a lot more overmixing than even the hrrr, although this is simply a hunch.
View attachment 27725View attachment 27726
View attachment 27729View attachment 27730
We're getting into the range where I think we're just gonna have to wait for observations to see how things play out, and then compare models/consistency after that maybe.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OK, what would be too hot & humid for a tornado outbreak, if other parameters could setup? 85/80, 90/85, 95/90? I won't go past this as I haven't seen that in the US outside of SE CA in Aug.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Whew chile..... some of y'all are about to see this new Day 2 for Sunday that just got issued and are gonna be ready to drive a wooden stake through Kerr's heart. Y'all play nice....

cat pulling GIF

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Whew chile..... some of y'all are about to see this new Day 2 for Sunday that just got issued and are gonna be ready to drive a wooden stake through Kerr's heart. Y'all play nice....

Run Away Shiba Inu GIF by Justin
How can you expect us to play nice when you’re using the meme of a dog that just died today. lol

Back