• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
See Andy’s comment. HRRR is a bit of an outlier so far amongst the CAMS with regards to that much coverage and initiation. Will have to see if the others follow suit over the next runs.
Andy is 800% correct in pointing out the issue, and even the HRRR was a bit more restricted with its northward push of 70+ dewpoints tonight compared to last night's data. However, I will say this just anecdotally from being actively on the forecast desk here at the station and having to deal with convective problems every single day this week.... There has not been one single run of the WRF-ARW, WRF-NSSL, FV3, 3k NAM, or the proprietary TV vendor CAMs that I've been able to take on air as a "Futurecast" product to try to show general timing/evolution of the various storm clusters and waves here at any point all week long... because they've all derailed from reality no deeper in that 03-06hrs out. While the HRRR has been far from perfect, I've been able to at least get a sense of general evolution of weakening vs strengthening, widespread vs spotty, and a very basic timing from the HRRR much of the week... at least enough to be able to show it on air and explain to not pay attention to exact details at an exact time, but use it as an overall general broad-brush guideline. All that may have absolutely zero impact on tomorrow, but when I haven't been able to use certain model output even out to 03 hr consistently all week, I'm not exactly running and doing somersaults and back handsprings to magically use it for tomorrow just because reasons. Yes, they are all in pretty good agreement versus the HRRR, but there have also been several times this week that they've been in pretty good agreement with each other about certain things, only to all fall flat on their faces because of it.

Reaction score
Andy is 800% correct in pointing out the issue, and even the HRRR was a bit more restricted with its northward push of 70+ dewpoints tonight compared to last night's data. However, I will say this just anecdotally from being actively on the forecast desk here at the station and having to deal with convective problems every single day this week.... There has not been one single run of the WRF-ARW, WRF-NSSL, FV3, 3k NAM, or the proprietary TV vendor CAMs that I've been able to take on air as a "Futurecast" product to try to show general timing/evolution of the various storm clusters and waves here at any point all week long... because they've all derailed from reality no deeper in that 03-06hrs out. While the HRRR has been far from perfect, I've been able to at least get a sense of general evolution of weakening vs strengthening, widespread vs spotty, and a very basic timing from the HRRR much of the week... at least enough to be able to show it on air and explain to not pay attention to exact details at an exact time, but use it as an overall general broad-brush guideline. All that may have absolutely zero impact on tomorrow, but when I haven't been able to use certain model output even out to 03 hr consistently all week, I'm not exactly running and doing somersaults and back handsprings to magically use it for tomorrow just because reasons. Yes, they are all in pretty good agreement versus the HRRR, but there have also been several times this week that they've been in pretty good agreement with each other about certain things, only to all fall flat on their faces because of it.
Thanks for explaining that Fred, that’s helpful. Appreciate your insights as always sir.

Evan

Reaction score
I know but I was referencing the moisture south issue

I definitely think it's much better than even odds at this point. I just don't think the CAMs showing suppression and early initiation are the deciding factors here (I could be wrong), but, rather, factors that would increase confidence that much more if they were to come into alignment. Granted, I'm speculating and I don't pretend to know what a forecaster at the SPC needs to see to pull the trigger to upgrade.

That said, I really don't see why the SPC would hold-off on a high risk in this scenario. Although, I could see it being a smaller concentrated area until later Day 1 updates if they do, in fact, want to see what happens with initiation and moisture trends.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score

This is happening because of the HREF members that aren't as widespread with initiation. While the HRRR is an HREF member, so are the WRF-ARW, NSSL-WRF, FV3, etc. If they were convecting more, this output would be twerkin'....

Logo 468x120
Back