• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Gail

Reaction score
also again.... the weather community has kind of become toxic in a way, yes there's them jerks that just want a EF5 to happen and want destruction yes i agree that's kind of messed up .... but we also have the opposite, the whole (how dare you question NWS rating) crowed, your like not allowed to speculate about a EF rating apparently and also treat like the NWS can do no wrong (villonia and metador...) however i find this bad for science we cant get accurate if we can not debate and challenge each other, its sad to see everyone be so scared to call anything a EF4-EF5.
A 4 is just as devastating as a 5 when you live there. Heck, a 1 can be if it kills your loved one or destroys your home. I’m not sure why people get so wrapped up in the ratings. It was an extremely violent tornado that left a community mourning.

treypops

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A 4 is just as devastating as a 5 when you live there. Heck, a 1 can be if it kills your loved one or destroys your home. I’m not sure why people get so wrapped up in the ratings. It was an extremely violent tornado that left a community mourning.
A 2 hit my home in 2020 it was a five to me.

This Iowa tornado was a beast, no matter how it surveys.

OHWX97

Reaction score
I hard agree on this, matador got its own thread so I think this tornado is significant enough for it as well.
Matador receiving its own thread had a lot to do with the initial discussion being buried within the Severe Weather 2023 thread. If I recall correctly, there wasn't a specific event thread that included June 21st.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Matador receiving its own thread had a lot to do with the initial discussion being buried within the Severe Weather 2023 thread. If I recall correctly, there wasn't a specific event thread that included June 21st.
You recall correctly, however, as you can tell, hardly anyone is taking about today’s threat, it’s all about yesterday’s tornado.

I think it’s quite confusing to viewers expecting a discussion about today but getting tornado rating discourse instead.

atrainguy

Reaction score
It's worth noting that there kinda is a set precedent for event threads getting huge and messy due to one tornado - the December 10-11 thread. It's not necessarily a bad idea having a separate thread for Greenfield if it ends up being the same. It's nice having these event threads as a documentation of the event as it occurs, and having all the inevitable discourse and arguing about Greenfield crammed into its own thread and out of the way.

Last edited:

OHWX97

Reaction score
You recall correctly, however, as you can tell, hardly anyone is taking about today’s threat, it’s all about yesterday’s tornado.

I think it’s quite confusing to viewers thinking they are expecting a discussion about today but getting tornado rating discourse instead.
As @notsoencrypted already pointed out, it's a lot easier to remove today's date from this thread instead of moving all of the discussion regarding Greenfield into a completely separate thread. Again, @JBishopwx has already created a thread regarding today and tomorrow's severe weather threat.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
As @notsoencrypted already pointed out, it's a lot easier to remove today's date from this thread instead of moving all of the discussion regarding Greenfield into a completely separate thread. Again, @JBishopwx has already created a thread regarding today and tomorrow's severe weather threat.
That could work, I guess it’ll be up to mods in what the decision will be.

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
For the person that asked about the truckers who were swept into the tornado, I did see a tweet that they were ok. Looks like both trucks were blown over but neither were thrown any distance.

Regarding Greenfield, the Des Moines Register is reporting 4+ fatalities, with the 4 being at one home. Sincerely hoping it does not go higher.

vanni9283

Reaction score
also again.... the weather community has kind of become toxic in a way, yes there's them jerks that just want a EF5 to happen and want destruction yes i agree that's kind of messed up .... but we also have the opposite, the whole (how dare you question NWS rating) crowed, your like not allowed to speculate about a EF rating apparently and also treat like the NWS can do no wrong (villonia and metador...) however i find this bad for science we cant get accurate if we can not debate and challenge each other, its sad to see everyone be so scared to call anything a EF4-EF5.
And let me just say this....I also think that the estimated wind values on the current EF-scale are in fact too low.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I just realized a really interesting coincidence.
The Greensburg EF5 ended what was at the time the longest F5/EF5 drought, the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was in Moore.
The Greenfield tornado occurred on the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was also in Moore.
Both of these towns have "Green" at the start of the name.

Kds86z

Reaction score
I just realized a really interesting coincidence.
The Greensburg EF5 ended what was at the time the longest F5/EF5 drought, the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was in Moore.
The Greenfield tornado occurred on the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was also in Moore.
Both of these towns have "Green" at the start of the name.
Yep it’s crazy. Thought of all that too

Reaction score
Also, pretty sure the wind farm that got obliterated near Carl/Williamson is the same one that appears in my chase video from May 7 of last year. The storms were not inclined to produce tornadoes that day, but I did a dusk lightning timelapse there.

Back