• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
View attachment 28556
That was snapped/ripped off of the nail with the nail slightly bent, same for another one. I don't know how strong windspeeds need to be for that to happen but that is pretty crazy.
Those are usually secured with 1/2" rebar about a foot long. It's a softish steel where the hammered end tends to spread but doesn't always lock in. Typical weight is 250lbs+ I recall some EF-5 surveys where these were lifted and thrown tens of feet, but the ones in the pic may have already been cracked/ weakened at the stub by parking impacts based on the ones remaining in place and in seeing that kind of damage IRL. I've set maybe 20 of these in my younger days (with a helper of course!)

locomusic01

Reaction score
Those are usually secured with 1/2" rebar about a foot long. It's a softish steel where the hammered end tends to spread but doesn't always lock in. Typical weight is 250lbs+ I recall some EF-5 surveys where these were lifted and thrown tens of feet, but the ones in the pic may have already been cracked/ weakened at the stub by parking impacts based on the ones remaining in place and in seeing that kind of damage IRL. I've set maybe 20 of these in my younger days (with a helper of course!)
Yeah, the most high-profile instance of this was Joplin, and what was interesting there is the way the parking stops failed. In most cases they seem to have been twisted off counterclockwise with the rebar spikes flattened almost to the ground, and in other cases the spikes themselves were sheared off. Really interesting.

pohnpei

Reaction score
The place of these parking stops. Noted that it's outside of the worst damage swath and vehicles nearby not moved
IMG_20240608_105222.jpg

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The place of these parking stops. Noted that it's outside of the worst damage swath and vehicles nearby not moved
Not surprised to see this as, well obviously the vehicles are a lot heavier than those parking stops.

And of course those things definitely lost some structural integrity since they were installed, most certainly no where near as impressive as the Joplin tornado case.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not surprised to see this as, well obviously the vehicles are a lot heavier than those parking stops.

And of course those things definitely lost some structural integrity since they were installed, most certainly no where near as impressive as the Joplin tornado case.
Even with the car's heavier weight, they are only held in place by friction. The flow of wind under them can reduce their apparent weight, and in most cases only one wheel is locked against rotation. Moving cars is not a big deal- lofting them is. An undamaged parking curb will be more resistant to lateral movement being doubly staked in place with wind not getting under them, and much harder to loft as their weight-to-surface area is much higher than a car.

It's said that in typhoons, flying coconuts are like cannonballs. Getting hit end-on by a flying parking curb in a tornado would be more like an artillery shell's impact.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Even with the car's heavier weight, they are only held in place by friction. The flow of wind under them can reduce their apparent weight, and in most cases only one wheel is locked against rotation. Moving cars is not a big deal- lofting them is. An undamaged parking curb will be more resistant to lateral movement being doubly staked in place with wind not getting under them, and much harder to loft as their weight-to-surface area is much higher than a car.

It's said that in typhoons, flying coconuts are like cannonballs. Getting hit end-on by a flying parking curb in a tornado would be more like an artillery shell's impact.
I know, which says a lot about the parking stops in this particular case because they’re the ones that got dislodged while the only vehicle that even got moved a little was the grey pickup.

Logo 468x120
Back