• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

A Guy

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the survey determines the width of the tornado was. The funnel itself was rather compact, but the damaging wind field was huge.

It'll likely end up being fairly wide. As I've pointed out before, the width of the condensation funnel of the Moore tornado was 270 metres when the damage path was at its maximum width of 1900 metres. That's a funnel-to-wind ratio of 0.14.

That's also why I take eyeball estimates from people filming with a lot of salt now. They're not seeing the boundary of the EF0 winds.

Reaction score
I just realized a really interesting coincidence.
The Greensburg EF5 ended what was at the time the longest F5/EF5 drought, the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was in Moore.
The Greenfield tornado occurred on the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was also in Moore.
Both of these towns have "Green" at the start of the name.
It is quite a coincidence.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Not necessarily a photograph, but a violent tornado that struck Great Bend, Kansas on November 10, 1915 transported a check 210 miles, landing near Palmyra, Nebraska.

https://rcs.ou.edu/~jsnow/Research/Debris/BAMS.html
Yeah, I feel like a photograph and a piece of paper of some sort are pretty similar, so I guess anything that's paper.
How strong was that tornado, again?

A Guy

Reaction score
What's the record for a tornado lofting a photograph again?
There was a photograph from Phil Campbell that was found in Lenoir City TN, 219 miles. The paper mentioning this says that's the longest confirmed debris trajectory from any tornado.

Reaction score
There was a photograph from Phil Campbell that was found in Lenoir City TN, 219 miles. The paper mentioning this says that's the longest confirmed debris trajectory from any tornado.
Great timing!! The Andover KS 1991 tornado carried paper debris for more than 125 miles just north of Topeka, KS. That is when I was a boy living in Emporria.

Last edited:
Back