• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

OHWX97

Reaction score
I am not sure on how true this but according to TWC the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell, AL EF5 tornado carried debris for 220 miles. https://weather.com/news/weather/news/2024-04-29-oklahoma-tornadoes-nebraska-photos-found
There was a photograph from Phil Campbell that was found in Lenoir City TN, 219 miles. The paper mentioning this says that's the longest confirmed debris trajectory from any tornado.

Thanks for the info. I could've sworn one of the 2011 tornadoes set that record, but didn't have the source to back it up. I should also mention that the article I sourced is pretty old; written back in 1995.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

A Guy

Reaction score

Might be worth including the reply from Alex Schueth:

Also worth a look at this recently published paper, for those who are interested:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Digging deeper it looks like the chaser was in the tornado very near to where Timmer filmed the wind turbines collapsing near Corning IA. So that would make 4 for Greenfield one for Corning

Kds86z

Reaction score
Digging deeper it looks like the chaser was in the tornado very near to where Timmer filmed the wind turbines collapsing near Corning IA. So that would make 4 for Greenfield one for Corning
Yeah that’s what I thought. They said 4 killed in greenfield. She wasn’t in greenfield

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A 4 is just as devastating as a 5 when you live there. Heck, a 1 can be if it kills your loved one or destroys your home. I’m not sure why people get so wrapped up in the ratings. It was an extremely violent tornado that left a community mourning.
A non-severe thunderstorm can turn deadly if lightning strikes a person or even a group of people.

pohnpei

Reaction score
That probably means the winds at ground level alone were easily over 200 mph!
Image_1716423270373.jpgScreenshot_2024-05-23-08-15-18-639_com.tencent.mobileqq-edit.jpg
Just a reminder than winds below that level not always, but at most time would be only stronger. And recent findings more and more suggest that the wind height defined in EF scale(10m) is more likely to be the level most tornado's winds peaks.

vanni9283

Reaction score
Yep it’s crazy. Thought of all that too
I just realized a really interesting coincidence.
The Greensburg EF5 ended what was at the time the longest F5/EF5 drought, the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was in Moore.
The Greenfield tornado occurred on the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was also in Moore.
Both of these towns have "Green" at the start of the name.

BTW, the vid of the Greenfield tornado did remind me of the Andover 1991 tornado.
The "Regan" video.

Back