• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2023

KevinH

Reaction score
Sorry Kevin! We'll get a break in May though. LOL!
Hey GA has been fairly lucky so far. I’m not complaining. I am sure my days are numbered though!!!
Hurry Up GIF

ColdFront

Reaction score
As others have stated, looks like we are entering a lull for a few weeks. But wow, what a few weeks it was. Rolling Fork, and then a multiple state major outbreak with two distinct high risks.

Our long range severe weather gurus out there, how are we looking Mid-April, May? My extent of “long range” is looking at the long range models on pivotal weather lol but I know there’s other, more advanced ways.

Reaction score
Was the ongoing drought the reason for the unexpected (as least as of model runs 5-7 days out) layer of dry air/EML that busted (relatively speaking) yesterday/today's severe threat?

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Was the ongoing drought the reason for the unexpected (as least as of model runs 5-7 days out) layer of dry air/EML that busted (relatively speaking) yesterday/today's severe threat?
It was part of the problem since moisture mixed out to an inhibitive degree over several areas (too much dry air around 850 mb), although the biggest issue was the trough hanging back west. The lack of mixing due to mid/upper level cloud cover was an issue south along the dryline. Without that, storms may have formed in OK/TX. Ultimately though, I think this goes a lot differently if the trough had been centered further east and further away from the capping source.

Back