• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2023

Reaction score
It's standard terminology for when a tornado hasn't been confirmed by NWS survey, even though it's really meant for situations where some storm damage occurred in the middle of the night or invisible inside a wall of rain. When a hundred chasers have video of a huge funnel flinging debris everywhere, then...<shrugs>.

I work as a newscast director for a local TV station, and I've told our producers to stop using that term when there's clear video of it.

Gail

Reaction score
I just need the week and day of May 6th to be warm and beautiful. Not asking for too much, am I? lol. As wet as it’s been, I’m starting to regret the farm birthday party I booked earlier this year.

Reaction score
It's standard terminology for when a tornado hasn't been confirmed by NWS survey, even though it's really meant for situations where some storm damage occurred in the middle of the night or invisible inside a wall of rain. When a hundred chasers have video of a huge funnel flinging debris everywhere, then...<shrugs>.

I work as a newscast director for a local TV station, and I've told our producers to stop using that term when there's clear video of it.
It kind of ticks me off when a local TV station or Storyful classifies an actual tornado that is flinging dust and debris as "possible tornado"

JPWX

Reaction score
Back