• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

buckeye05

Reaction score

Tornado in Barrie, ON from earlier.

Twitter is showing what looks like widespread EF2 damage in a subdivision as a result of this tornado. Lots of two story homes with roof loss, and some loss of upper exterior walls too.

Reaction score
A friend of my parents managed to get some really good aerial photos of the damage in Barrie. I'm talking to her now asking for permission to share them. I'll keep you guys posted. It looks like EF2 damage, with roofs torn off houses and some upper level walls gone. Luckily, no deaths have been reported yet, but 8 people have been injured.

Reaction score
Preliminary survey results from DMX have Lake City tornado rated EF3, all others surveyed so far EF1. I chased on Wednesday and got a dramatic structure shot of the Shell Rock/Waverly storm and a couple glimpses of the tornadoes, including a shot of the Waverly tornado just before it dissipated. I missed it when it was in its fully condensed/multiple vortex stage. One thing I've noticed when I chase is that I need to get better about realizing when I'm actually in good position on a tornadic supercell, and should hold my ground and watch it for a while. My instinct is usually to keep moving in order to stay ahead of the action area and out of the rain. Still, it was the first chase I've been on in a long time where I was (a) legitimately excited about the day's tornado prospects before leaving, and (b) the storm I was on actually delivered. Will post photos later.

Reaction score
I got permission to share the damage photos I was talking about from Barrie. It's been rated by Environment Canada as a high-end EF2, with max winds of 210 kph (130 mph).

Attachments

• IMG_6405.PNG
    IMG_6405.PNG
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6404.PNG
    IMG_6404.PNG
  • IMG_6408.PNG
    IMG_6408.PNG

atrainguy

Reaction score
Pretty rough damage in Armada, MI this evening. Sounds like we've had several tornadoes here in southeast Michigan this evening, one of which was reported by spotters only 10 minutes north of my house (near Swartz Creek, MI).

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado warning in the southern suburbs of Baltimore. Not that impressive on velocity but still concerning in such a densely populated area. There's a severe warned cell coming into the northern suburbs of DC that bears watching too.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Those cells in eastern Ohio are packing a punch. Confirmed tornado with potentially significant damage in the town of New Athens, OH. It's likely that the cell near Bergholz, OH has or had a tornado on the ground as well.

"TORNADO SPOTTED HEADING FROM NEW ATHENS TOWARD HARRISVILLE. REPORT OF A HOUSE OUT IN THE ROAD IN NEW ATHENS"

buckeye05

Reaction score
PDS TOR warning for the Trenton, NJ metro. Confirmed large tornado on the ground. Never seen anything like this in that area:
C4623E3F-F2E7-47A2-A672-63A4EB0F180D.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
CC drop associated with the large and extremely dangerous tornado in the Trenton NJ area. Good grief, definitely not something you see every day in this region:
Screenshot_20210729-151043_wX.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Considerable damage to a home from an earlier tornado in Wintersville, OH. This day is turning out to be more significant than expected.
9473260A-5032-4B9E-A98F-FDF29BA0B59A.jpeg

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Watching northeastern TV news cover a significant tornado is pretty painful when you're used to the folks in Alabama.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Cell near Abington, PA is hooking big time. If it produces, its going to drop a tornado in densely populated suburbs of Philly.

Logo 468x120
Back