• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Potential Winter Mischief 1/16

Blizzard1

Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder if they should extend the WWA southward a bit. The dry slot looks to be setting up further to the east, precip rates are quite high tomorrow midday and fairly widespread as temps drop over Central Alabama.
Yeah that’s what I’m seeing but the models seem to be all over the map with precip type at crucial times of the show. Are there some warm nose mixing issues?

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’m seeing but the models seem to be all over the map with precip type at crucial times of the show. Are there some warm nose mixing issues?
The 850 mb cold air is actually coming in from the south and west....and is both sped up and slowed down by all kind of mesoscale processes, very complicated setup

Blizzard1

Reaction score
The 850 mb cold air is actually coming in from the south and west....and is both sped up and slowed down by all kind of mesoscale processes, very complicated setup
Ok, makes sense that it doesn’t make sense right now. I can say that this system is one of the most complex ones I can recall in a bit in terms of uncertainty with so many factors throughout the atmosphere and definitely some of the wildest maps I have seen on model runs were we to take them at face value.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Ok, makes sense that it doesn’t make sense right now. I can say that this system is one of the most complex ones I can recall in a bit in terms of uncertainty with so many factors throughout the atmosphere and definitely some of the wildest maps I have seen on model runs were we to take them at face value.
850mb temps...
Some of that cooling happens due to the deepening low...which models may not handle correctly.

Attachments

• floop-hrrr-2022011523.850th.conus (1).gif
    floop-hrrr-2022011523.850th.conus (1).gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Has anyone else noticed that winter weather system 2 weeks from now in the GFS that has snow &/or ice down to the Gulf Coast? Obviously thats a ways out but worth noting. To get ice & snow down to the coast means its probably got to get pretty cold. I hope this isnt a TX Feb 21 type event.

1642302481875.png

1642302454135.png

1642302514764.png

Last edited:

Stormlover

Reaction score
From Meteorologist Chris Lisauckis in Huntsville Good Evening, after reviewing the latest computer model data and applying various meteorological techniques, I see no reason to change the forecast much from earlier. The Tennessee Valley Region of northern Alabama and southern middle Tennessee will be located in an ideal location for very heavy snow between 9am and 3pm Sunday. Whiteout conditions are likely at times over the area and travel problems will likely develop throughout the morning hours. An experimental snow forecasting index I am developing indicates 2-3" per hour snowfall rates are possible, and thundersnow. A fair amount of this snow will likely melt because of above freezing surface temperatures, however I still expect 5-7" across a large part of the area. Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of this forecast, it's not possible to predict locations where these totals are most likely at this time. The Tennessee Valley will be located in the left exit region of the high altitude jet stream portion of the storm system, which may allow temperatures to dynamically cool more than expected at the surface as heavy precipitation continues. Only a few degrees of surface temperature will separate us from getting 5-7" and 8-10" of snow. Things could change with the forecast. Please expect the unexpected.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1642302606404.png

Neat storm. Cold air really mixing in from the west now.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is what the GFS has as total forecast snowfall thru end of January should the forecast hold up. This map shows a Baton Rouge with 17" & Biloxi with 15"!

1642302899045.png

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From Meteorologist Chris Lisauckis in Huntsville Good Evening, after reviewing the latest computer model data and applying various meteorological techniques, I see no reason to change the forecast much from earlier. The Tennessee Valley Region of northern Alabama and southern middle Tennessee will be located in an ideal location for very heavy snow between 9am and 3pm Sunday. Whiteout conditions are likely at times over the area and travel problems will likely develop throughout the morning hours. An experimental snow forecasting index I am developing indicates 2-3" per hour snowfall rates are possible, and thundersnow. A fair amount of this snow will likely melt because of above freezing surface temperatures, however I still expect 5-7" across a large part of the area. Unfortunately, due to the difficulty of this forecast, it's not possible to predict locations where these totals are most likely at this time. The Tennessee Valley will be located in the left exit region of the high altitude jet stream portion of the storm system, which may allow temperatures to dynamically cool more than expected at the surface as heavy precipitation continues. Only a few degrees of surface temperature will separate us from getting 5-7" and 8-10" of snow. Things could change with the forecast. Please expect the unexpected.
Isn't that CAL from the old forum?

Back