• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

locomusic01

Reaction score
Somehow I knew as soon as I read the disco that it was Broyles' shift. Not that this setup doesn't warrant that kind of outlook, of course, but the man sure does love him some strong wording. In any event, gonna be really interesting to see how things look in the morning.

(Also, holy crap, hi TW! I'm a little embarrassed to say that, with everything going on, I totally forgot about this forum until just recently.)

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to armchair chase this one but I'm gonna be heading out to the GOM this afternoon. I'll be back to read this thread next week.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Somehow I knew as soon as I read the disco that it was Broyles' shift. Not that this setup doesn't warrant that kind of outlook, of course, but the man sure does love him some strong wording. In any event, gonna be really interesting to see how things look in the morning.

(Also, holy crap, hi TW! I'm a little embarrassed to say that, with everything going on, I totally forgot about this forum until just recently.)

must be putting lot stock in hrrr models...apparently spc putting lot in to the hrrr... if so... sure even rich Thompson would be this agresssive too... it warrants it

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Given lack of widespread early convection there's a real shot of the warm front making it as far north as some of the more aggressive guidance

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Given lack of widespread early convection there's a real shot of the warm front making it as far north as some of the more aggressive guidance
Yeah, it’s already getting close to I-44. I could see it getting up to the OK/KS line at least.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As a few people have noted on twitter, the NAM has handled this morning convection better than the HRRR so maybe the NAM has a better grip on the system as a whole? Its solution would still be bad but not catastrophic like the HRRR.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Already a supercell popping east of Dimmitt. Doubt it’s rooted at the surface but if we’ve got them popping at 7:30 am it’s gonna be a long day.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Any chance of the HRRR not fully verifying would be great news for those in the highest risk areas tbh, it consistently wants to level Oklahoma multiple times

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If any chasers are overnighting in Amarillo they may lose windshields already

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The High Risk has been expanded a bit with the latest update, and now includes Oklahoma City:

day1otlk_1300.gif

TornadoFan

Reaction score
From the SPC:

A serious outbreak of destructive, tornadic supercells is likely over parts of this region this afternoon into evening, especially in
the high- and moderate-risk areas."

The parameter space over much of the region today
will support a threat of violent tornadoes, and the likelihood of
multiple significant (EF2+ events).

Reaction score
Newest HRRR (not that it matters much) isn't as ghastly as the images from earlier. However, it still erupts a string of pearls in the Texas Panhandle, with additional development across South Central Oklahoma. These supercells then pummel Western and Central Oklahoma.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honesrly though this is a day where even a severe downtrend will still be a pretty dangerous day... even if tornado threat were to somehow collapse (with hodos like today and super low LCLs I doubt it's even possible for it to completely collapse) we are talking about historic flooding over much of OK so we are basically locked on to keeping the spooky 5/20 legacy going

Reaction score
Honesrly though this is a day where even a severe downtrend will still be a pretty dangerous day... even if tornado threat were to somehow collapse (with hodos like today and super low LCLs I doubt it's even possible for it to completely collapse) we are talking about historic flooding over much of OK so we are basically locked on to keeping the spooky 5/20 legacy going
Oh no doubt. No matter the guidance, I would be absolutely shocked to not see several strong/violent tornadoes. Especially over SW/South Central Oklahoma, where a high population exists.

Logo 468x120
Back