• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I guess the high risk decision is gonna hinge on whether we get better model convergence in terms of storm mode at 18 and 00z.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
We just missed the actiity yesterday. Everything went north and our cap never eroded.

I wish I could run up the the panhandle or OK to chase tomorrow but I imagine there will be a ton of chasers already on the roads.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We just missed the actiity yesterday. Everything went north and our cap never eroded.

I wish I could run up the the panhandle or OK to chase tomorrow but I imagine there will be a ton of chasers already on the roads.
Yeah, I'm really concerned about chaser convergence given that the storm motions are going to be relatively fast by Plains standards.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There are some chasers who are debating not even going for storm motion/intensity + convergence issues, and for the fear of coming upon catastrophic damage scenes if the event DOES verify in full and strike populated areas. Can't say I can blame them for that line of reasoning. I just hope I get off work early so I can at least armchair chase.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, if it were me, I wouldn't do it. I just feel like the sheer number of people who will probably be out there adds enough of an element of risk to something that's already inherently very dangerous that it's not worth it. I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting stuck in a bad position but also I wouldn't want to obstruct people who are actually doing serious research in the name of taking nice pictures or whatever.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not really related to tomorrow but there have been several tornado warnings up in PA and NY today.

Jimruns

Reaction score
Question for the pros ahead of tomorrow:

I saw several comments on Twitter that open warm sector development in Plains events is not nearly as common as those in The Southeast.

Is this in fact accurate and if so, why?

Reactions: KoD

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Several school districts in Oklahoma have already announced that they'll be closed, as has the University of Oklahoma.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Question for the pros ahead of tomorrow:

I saw several comments on Twitter that open warm sector development in Plains events is not nearly as common as those in The Southeast.

Is this in fact accurate and if so, why?
I would guess it has something to do with a stronger EML? I don't know though.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
HRRR coming in with near apocalyptic multiple waves of cells, including a bunch through the middle of the day in Oklahoma then some really frightening cells blowing up in the TX panhandle by afternoon... we may have tornado warnings for 12-16 hours straight if worst case happens. There is no failure mode that completely eliminate threats; even super messy storm mode would still lead to a bunch of tornadoes and severe flooding.

If it's any indication of the trough we are dealing with, there's been a sustained occasional tornado producing supercell in California of all places, persisting for hours.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Know what's scary? That's just at 20z, and some of the nastiest looking cells are only then starting to develop to the west... the multiple all day waves thing is what gets me the most I think.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If there's been a setup in the last half decade that deserves it this one does; honestly since they put them out for some of the somewhat iffy setups in 2017 it'd be pretty wild to not see a High given these parameters. I noticed one met in Twitter who said he wouldn't disagree with a 45% tor prob contour but I guess that would probably only happen if all the CAMs agree on a sustained cellular mode.

Logo 468x120
Back