• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

Evan

Reaction score

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fair points being made about the massive number of cells blowing up in the open warm sector reducing some threats due to cell competition, but I don't think that is going to make as big a difference as it does on marginal days. The threat lasts for all day in multiple waves, and even if cell competition hinders much of the afternoon action, the HRRR is showing a major after dark issue with massive discrete cells in SW OK and adjacent N TX W of Wichita Falls... and those could be the scariest ones of all. Definitely has the potential to be one of those historic days we talk about in hushed tones.

Not that May 20th isn't already a historic date for violent Oklahoma tornadoes, of course.

Reaction score
What wouldni
If there's been a setup in the last half decade that deserves it this one does; honestly since they put them out for some of the somewhat iffy setups in 2017 it'd be pretty wild to not see a High given these parameters. I noticed one met in Twitter who said he wouldn't disagree with a 45% tor prob contour but I guess that would probably only happen if all the CAMs agree on a sustained cellular mode.
If there's been a setup in the last half decade that deserves it this one does; honestly since they put them out for some of the somewhat iffy setups in 2017 it'd be pretty wild to not see a High given these parameters. I noticed one met in Twitter who said he wouldn't disagree with a 45% tor prob contour but I guess that would probably only happen if all the CAMs agree on a sustained cellular mode.
What would it take for SPC to issue a 60% hatched area for strong/violent tornadoes?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What would it take for SPC to issue a 60% hatched area for strong/violent tornadoes?

Believe it or not they actually did go 60% on April 7th 2006 for NE MS/NW AL/south-central TN (which dropped a couple of F3s just to the NE of the highest risk area but otherwise was underwhelming)

4/27 was 45%; I'm honestly not sure if we ever see a 60% used again. I dont think 45% is out of the question by 20z though if the worst case starts happening.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NAM simulated sounding from west TX for 03z (for nasty after dark action) - I have no words for parameters like these. Just. Wow. Just enough capping to promise isolated cells... with extreme instability and shear.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah if they didn't go 60% on 4/27/11, I'm not sure when they would.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Should also note that flooding will likely be a very serious issue tomorrow as well, particularly in OK and KS. Wouldn't be surprised if the WPC went high risk for excessive rainfall.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They could easily have thrown in a small 60% contour at 1630 or 2000z on 4/27 and had it completely verify but I dont think the general public pays any attention to anything besides the overall outlook level. I don't see enough events being as clear-cut extreme with little failure modes to make >30% used very often. Since the probs changed in I think 2006, only four times they have gone over 30 (4/7/06 60%, 4/27/11 45%, 5/24/11 45%, 4/14/12 45%) and only twice before then (5/10/03 and 5/30/04)

I think that's getting a bit off topic though lol

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Regardless of storm mode, I think we get some cells that drop significant tornadoes before upscale growth begins. The other CAMs are less bullish on lots of big isolated cells yeah but given the insane shear in place even linear segments are probably going to be dropping tornadoes... and late evening dryline stuff is still a big potential.

For the sake of Oklahoma let's hope the HRRR isn't on the right track because the 03z run is even more volatile

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
High Risk already on the 0600z.

The discussion mentions violent tornadoes. First high risk in two years and some of the strongest 0600z wording you'll ever see.

"This event should result in a significant threat to life and property" is not a sentence you want to hear in a convective outlook

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
05Z HRRR looks just as dangerous if not even MORE so. I've gotta get some sleep now yikes.

Back