• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I guess the last couple of HRRR runs have been a bit more cluster-y but still have a few hours of relatively discrete storms, which is more than enough time for things to get really bad in this kind of environment.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeahhhh Texas is rapidly clearing. Ominously calm in the volatile warm sector. Still could get a lot of cell competition later but that clearing isn't what you want to see. Maybe that means fewer boundaries for cells to start spinning on but in this environment that doesn't matter much.

bwalk

Reaction score
This is the Texas Tech WRF at 5 pm today. Numerous discrete supercells with long updraft helicity tracks. This has bad news written all over it. Just makes you want to shake your head for some of these poor folks who will be caught in the middle of this.

[Source: Brian McKibben]

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's some of the strongest and most ominous wording I've ever heard in a MCD ever. They really aren't shy with the V word today.

I can legitimately see a 45% TOR contour in that area in the 1630z outlook.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Easy to understand why. This is the most dangerous setup in several years.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Geeze this is a terrifying situation unfolding. Oklahoma had been pretty quiet when it comes to tornadoes the last few years (relatively speaking). Looks like the sleeping giant is about to be awakened.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Good grief. That's the scariest run yet.

I had been pretty sure that the eastern TX panhandle would be ground zero buuuut now yikes for SW/C Oklahoma. Jaw dropping.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The 15z HRRR would be a catastrophic outbreak. Wow. I have to wonder if they’ll go with a 45% sigtor at 1630.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
See before it looked like there would be cell interference but these latest runs are worryingly much more discrete. Seeing that the last significant failure mode possibility is cell competition...

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
STP is maxed out over like a third of Oklahoma. I know some of it is due to contamination but still. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything like that.