• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX May 2019 Plains Severe Event

bwalk

Reaction score
Wow. The Altus to Lawton, Ok area just refuses to break. Nothing is being allowed to form in that area. The models had that area progged to be the most explosive area/atmosphere of this entire event.

Tennie

Reaction score
Well, if there's one thing that verifies, it's definitely the forecasts for heavy rain and widespread flooding.

bwalk

Reaction score
So what has held this event back?

Some are saying an unexpected stout cap that refuses to break.

Jeff Duda says, "This could also be the classic case of "1 CIN in the 00Z OUN sounding is good enough to restrict CI because there is no other lift". We see that many times in C OK.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Very impressive BWER and large couplet W of Guthrie TX and multiple classic tornado warned supercells east of Midland. Oklahoma, however, is a barely severe linear mass of rain at the moment.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Might see a few more significant tornadoes from the dryline, but so far this would have been covered by an Enhanced risk. The CAMs were awful, all of them, in warm sector development. If cloud cover hadn't kept the lapse rates down we would be shaking in terror at the radar screen but instead I might go take a nap if the dryline storms calm down since I stayed up late for the 6z outlook lol

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Another large tornado SE of Midland. Four tornado warned highly impressive dryline supercells. I knew there would be some impressive storms there but I figured they'd play second fiddle to a major OK problem (even expecting TOO MUCH convection as a failure mode!) - instead they're about the only thing worth watching.

mike36

Reaction score
Most us weather geeks know many things can bust an event. However, the general public will become complacent and point to the hype of this event and "nothing happening".

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah that's what frustrates me. WE know the failure modes but those in OK are going to be angry and lash out for overhyping without caring for the reason then possibly ignore the next serious threat. Busts increase the death toll of future events...