• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 29-30, 2022 Severe Event

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
ae5cdd3d5d0e5bbc9b43987ac9a41fc7.jpg

Is this misinformation? I haven’t heard a local met say that this is a low risk storm system. Did I interpret it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
Low risk of discrete supercells with long-track violent tornadoes...not severe weather in general.

It didn’t give off that vibe though. He should clarify it. This thing may catch folks off guard tomorrow. I just left a staff meeting at my school and no one knew about the storms tomorrow.

F

Former Member

It didn’t give off that vibe though. He should clarify it. This thing may catch folks off guard tomorrow. I just left a staff meeting at my school and no one knew about the storms tomorrow.

Well, they aren't paying attention to what the potential is then. If a derecho is realized it can cause much more widespread damage than a tornado threat in many cases.

MichelleH

Reaction score
ae5cdd3d5d0e5bbc9b43987ac9a41fc7.jpg

Is this misinformation? I haven’t heard a local met say that this is a low risk storm system. Did I interpret it wrong?

Well, the fact that he is saying that makes me worry about tomorrow more. He's not exactly a severe weather expert. (Trying to be nice.)

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
People tend to take the risk of wind much less seriously if said wind is straight and along a QLCS instead of spiraling around a tornado, and that's a dangerous mentality. At least supercell tornadoes can be tracked effectively but with a QLCS/decrecho you got a wall of wind a couple hundred miles long tossing thousands of trees onto cars and buildings and causing much more widespread power outages than a supercell can muster up, all the while spitting out a handful of nearly impossible to predict tornadoes. Not at all a fan of strong QLCS/derecho days, they're highly under-respected as to the degree of impact they can cause. Tomorrow has the strong potential to be a very unpleasant day for a lot of people

MichelleH

Reaction score
OK, I'm not good at playing nice. He's an inept, narcissistic idiot who posts forecasts for North AL, even though he's up on the East Coast, because he thinks he's better than the mets in Huntsville. Well, maybe if he hadn't blown off the threat coming on 4/27/11 and went to a climate change conference on that day instead of doing his job as chief met at WHNT, he might not have gotten fired.

MichelleH

Reaction score
People tend to take the risk of wind much less seriously if said wind is straight and along a QLCS instead of spiraling around a tornado, and that's a dangerous mentality. At least supercell tornadoes can be tracked effectively but with a QLCS/decrecho you got a wall of wind a couple hundred miles long tossing thousands of trees onto cars and buildings and causing much more widespread power outages than a supercell can muster up, all the while spitting out a handful of nearly impossible to predict tornadoes. Not at all a fan of strong QLCS/derecho days, they're highly under-respected as to the degree of impact they can cause. Tomorrow has the strong potential to be a very unpleasant day for a lot of people

I would much rather have the threat of supercells, that like you said, easier to track and gone quickly. Long-term high winds with my neighbor's unstable trees...me no likey.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Thing is, there are no exciting visuals - a movie called "Wind Storm" isn't going to sell tickets (though "Wall of Wind" might, if they could show the onrushing wall somehow). People think they know the wind, too; derechos aren't common enough to show them how wrong they are.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah except for shelf clouds there's not even much to look at and we won't even get that looks like being an after dark event; just no good all around. People forget non tornadic events very quickly here. I even remember the super nasty wake low wind event in 2009 that took out power for a week but most take no notice of wind potential unless there's explicitly a tornado warning

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
By my count, the only wind-driven high risk in the Deep South was 2 May 1997. Not sure they'd pull the trigger on that for tomorrow but it seems like there's pretty good reason to be confident in a significant derecho event.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OK, I'm not good at playing nice. He's an inept, narcissistic idiot who posts forecasts for North AL, even though he's up on the East Coast, because he thinks he's better than the mets in Huntsville. Well, maybe if he hadn't blown off the threat coming on 4/27/11 and went to a climate change conference on that day instead of doing his job as chief met at WHNT, he might not have gotten fired.
He went on a climate change conference on the day of that generational event??? It wasn't like no 1 knew that was coming in advance! What an idiot! Jason Simpson's definitely an upgrade!

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
From what another forum said the SPC has never gone higher than moderate for even the worst forecasted derechoes.

He went on a climate change conference on the day of that generational event??? It wasn't like no 1 knew that was coming in advance! What an idiot! Jason Simpson's definitely an upgrade!

This is banter but Jason no longer works for WHNT. He went into the private sector.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wind-driven 60 hatch High Risk days aren't super rare in the upper Midwest and Ohio Valley but they are quite rare here, they would verify for quite a few derecho events in this region but SPC tends to max out at 45 hatch/moderate for some reason in the southeast. Lots of trees to rack up storm reports to easily verify higher probabilities than are issued for. Interested to see if they go for it.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Speaking on the tornado threat only, I've got a bad feeling that we will see a bad tornado come out of the southern more semi-discrete mode, especially late in the evening in the Mobile and Florida Panhandle region as broken supercells and a semi-discrete mode are expected to interact with better wind shear and kinematic support as the night goes on. There will undoubtedly be multiple spin-ups within the line, but those will probably be very hard to track and see.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I remember way back we had tornado warnings in storms in February 1990 & March 1991 that turned out to be 100+ mph straight line wind events.

Back