• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 29-30, 2022 Severe Event

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The more I look at southern, more coastal Dixie Alley, the more I get concerned about big tornadoes there tonight.
Yeah, most of the CAMs have at least some support for the southern part of the line becoming somewhat broken later this evening, which would obviously not be ideal when you've got >400 0-1km SRH.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
from the new day1:

SHEAR WILL BE STRONG ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION, AS 90-110 KT OF
700-500-MB LAYER FLOW DEVELOP AHEAD OF THE EJECTING SHORTWAVE TROUGH
OVER THE MID-SOUTH, ALONG WITH A BROAD, 60-85-KT LLJ. FORECAST
SOUNDINGS REASONABLY DEPICT 50-70 KT EFFECTIVE-SHEAR MAGNITUDES,
ALONG WITH LARGE, WELL-CURVED HODOGRAPHS FOSTERING 300-600 J/KG
EFFECTIVE SRH (LOCALLY HIGHER). THIS WILL SUPPORT LINE-EMBEDDED
TORNADIC SUPERCELLS AND LEWP/MESOVORTEX FEATURES, AS WELL AS BOWING
SEGMENTS TO LOCALLY MAXIMIZE DESTRUCTIVE-WIND POTENTIAL. ANY
PRECEDING, SUSTAINED SUPERCELLS THAT DO DEVELOP WOULD BE FAST-MOVING
(AROUND 50 KT BASED ON THE BUNKERS ALGORITHM), WITH POTENTIAL FOR
LONG TORNADO TRACKS IF STORM-SCALE OCCLUSIONS ARE NOT VERY RAPID.

DOWNWARD MOMENTUM TRANSFER FROM LAYERS OF INTENSE GRADIENT FLOW IN
LOW/MIDDLE-LEVELS ALSO MY AUGMENT THE SEVERE-DOWNDRAFT THREAT, WITH
BURSTS OF HURRICANE-FORCE GUSTS POSSIBL
E.

Reaction score
The 12Z HRRR has what appear to be discrete supercells out in AR/LA as early as 18Z (1 PM CDT). The northern one races NNE on the AR side of the river (if that verifies, it will naturally be in a major radar hole) and by an hour later is up near the AR/MS/TN confluence.

*Edit: Yikes to the above, today already off to a rough start.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 08-05-16 Models HRRR — Pivotal Weather.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-30 at 08-05-16 Models HRRR — Pivotal Weather.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 0

Tennie

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the "generational outbreak" terminology anyway. I get why it's used to convey the rarity of days like 4/27/11, but it also implies that we won't see another day like that until around 2051. That's not how probability works, as we know.

Perhaps the best way to look at would to be to do the same thing that's done with things like floods (e.g. "100-year" or "1,000-year" floods), wherein it's actually the reciprocal of the average chance of the event in question occurring each year (e.g. "1% chance" or "0.1% chance" of a certain-sized flood to occur per year). In this case, a "40-year storm" would have about a 2.5% chance of occurring each year.

Last edited:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Good morning everyone,

We are safe here in Springdale, AR. Our home is good but lacking power this morning but from what I've seen there isn't any damage to the home. However, down the street there is damage. My son lives that way and he is reporting he is good as well. Basically, the tornado went between us. 7 injuries were reported and 2 of which are critical. My CC post this morning panned out.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
that's what I would call too close for comfort!
Yeah I always hate middle of the night stuff.

We have a new memorial weather station coming online that is at my home at the moment. Here is the data it collected. The siting isn't exactly great so the wind is not really correct (trust me it was gusting higher than 10 mph lol) But some useful data from our WeatherFlow Tempest devices. If you ever decide to get one let us know, I would like to start a network of TW member sites. We have a 10% discount if you use the promo code TALKWEATHER and the site also gets a credit as well.

1648651828824.png
1648651473227.png

1648651567785.png

1648651609291.png

Last edited:

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Without a doubt I know the alerts coming out on cell phones are newer so to say, I guess I’m referring to earlier days when there was a time or two they did the whole tornado sirens procedure when it was “just” a high end severe thunderstorm with high winds. I recall there even being a debate on when to go there with tstorm winds alone but this was years ago.
I remember this topic after a 100 mph straight line wind event in March 1991 but I'm sure it's happened again since then.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
One thought that has gone through my head this morning: Could this event today/tonight be comparable to the morning QLCS that we saw on April 27, 2011 across Mississippi and Alabama? I know we probably won't see the same type of tornadoes embedded in today's QLCS as there were on that morning, but it seems to be potentially an event that falls into the same category of high-impact destructive wind event with embedded tornadoes within the QLCS.

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
WSB's Glenn said last night the line will weaken and will be here overnight, but I'm not convinced given what's happened so far today.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, we sounded the sirens once when NWS placed "suggest sounding sirens" in their warning due to extreme high winds. A certain TV met took us to the woodshed on TV.

Reaction score
Almost forgot to look at a satellite loop this morning! :p

Looks like fairly clear over most of AL, with some breaks over MS and southeast LA.

Certainly seen much more socked in warm sectors ahead of expected severe weather events...

SUMMARY...Intensifying thunderstorm development, including
supercells
, is expected through Noon-2 PM CDT

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Almost forgot to look at a satellite loop this morning! :p

Looks like fairly clear over most of AL, with some breaks over MS and southeast LA.

Certainly seen much more socked in warm sectors ahead of expected severe weather events...

Fairly sunny here moment. With gusty south winds