• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 23-25th, 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Curious if the above average gulf temperatures will play into this event some. Haven't had a event that's been able to really play off the increased gulf temps off the coast.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Guess bham is expecting a upgrade lol

They mentioned in their AFD this morning:

"Our public severe weather graphic will remain unchanged to remain
somewhat consistent with other national products, but an upgrade
may become necessary tomorrow night."

Also, the Maxwell radar (KMXX) is scheduled to go down for maintenance/upgrades starting tomorrow through next Thursday. I'm sure that means we'll get some severe weather down this way, lol.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
They mentioned in their AFD this morning:

"Our public severe weather graphic will remain unchanged to remain
somewhat consistent with other national products, but an upgrade
may become necessary tomorrow night."

Also, the Maxwell radar (KMXX) is scheduled to go down for maintenance/upgrades starting tomorrow through next Thursday. I'm sure that means we'll get some severe weather down this way, lol.
Never fails. Although the silver lining is we've seen almost all busts with the corresponding maintenance schedule haha.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
We’ve been pretty lucky the last few years with few late night/ early morning threats here in AL, but just because we’re due doesn’t mean I have to like it.
Yeah the last real overnight outbreak threat I remember was April 28th 2014. (For my area) The last major tornado from a overnight event though with a non outbreak just a singular tornadic storm was January 2021 or it may have been 2022

Clancy

Reaction score
Well that definitely catches my eye. Excerpt from BMX's AFD posted here earlier. A nighttime supercell threat would be a quite unsavory situation.
The low-amplitude nature of the 500 mb trough with broad cyclonic
curvature, and 200-300 mb diffluence overspreading the warm sector,
indicates that discrete supercells or line-embedded supercells
could be the primary storm mode
. This has been explicitly
indicated by the ECMWF for several days.

andyhb

Reaction score
Interesting that the first sniff of the 3K NAM out to 00Z Saturday is rather muted with the EHI as well as the simulated reflectivity/updraft helicity, but that seems to be somewhat common with that model. For some reason it doesn't really mirror the regular NAM to the extent you'd think it would, at least at the end of its range.

I wonder if it maybe has a later deepening of the surface low and hence the low level jet response and consequent enlarging of the hodographs takes place after the end of the run. Because the regular NAM looks extremely dangerous especially across northeastern Arkansas/the MO bootheel at 0Z Saturday. But, the hodographs are large and strongly curved across most of AR/LA.
It's likely several degrees too cold with temperatures in the open warm sector, for starters.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
A tornado formed in Montebello, California, just east of Los Angeles. It is clear they do not see these very often.

andyhb

Reaction score
Uh oh...18Z NAM suggests the favorable environment expanding a little more Friday evening, into more of western TN/southwestern KY. Where have we seen this in the not too distant past?...(not calling for a repeat of that-yet-but still, yikes).
22214655aENGp9ey.gif

I mean, I challenge you to find a better sounding match than that. It's almost identical.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
The RAP is painting a concerning picture even by 18z. I will be interested to see how the 21z extended run evolves - NAM already worrying as others have posted above despite its likely cool bias. Synoptic setup is very favourable.

Attachments

• sfctd_b-imp.us_sc.png
    sfctd_b-imp.us_sc.png
    623.4 KB · Views: 0

ColdFront

Reaction score
Uh oh...18Z NAM suggests the favorable environment expanding a little more Friday evening, into more of western TN/southwestern KY. Where have we seen this in the not too distant past?...(not calling for a repeat of that-yet-but still, yikes).
Still remember the lead up to that event.

And then the reaction to the thermals coming in and performing that afternoon

Back