• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Hurricane Laura

Kory

Reaction score
Future Laura is looking good this morning out in the Atlantic. This one has the potential to be the most threatening storm of the season so far to the mainland U.S. Conditions look nearly perfect for strengthening once it gets north of Hispaniola with an upper-level anti-cyclone and 30C+ water temps. The forecast becomes tricky after that. A thin ridge extention from the very stout Bermuda ridge will be extending over northern Florida...and the strength and path of 97L (currently in the Caribbean) will have huge implications. All interests from the Central Gulf Coast to the East Coast of Florida will need to keep a close eye on future Laura.

Meanwhile, WTH has happened to the Euro? It used to be a premiere model and now it can barely pick up on a developing tropical system.

pwV2aon.jpg

13L_tracks_latest.png

13L_intensity_latest.png

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Should have Laura very soon. The NHC forecast does strengthen it to a minimal hurricane as it gets to Florida early next week.

Kory

Reaction score
Definitely some westerly shear from a developing anticyclone atop TD14 in the Caribbean. What a complicated set up...and one will have to be more dominant than the other.

Kory

Reaction score
Looks like it's close to degenerating into an open wave. That westerly shear advecting some drier air into the system and I see outflow boundaries racing outward...

Kory

Reaction score
Recon has found a west wind shift that should be enough for an upgrade to Laura. DMAX has really helped both systems overnight.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We have Laura. The ninth of this year's storms to be the earliest for its letter (Marco will be the tenth).

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Interaction between Laura and #14 will be very interesting. Throw in a large cut off trough over the Gulf, models are having a tough time. Both look Gulf bound...that’s for sure.

Oh, and throw in center reformations with both systems in the early stages. Laura, while having a closed circulation and TS force winds, the low pressure center is quite weak. It will get tugged and will reform toward deeper convection. Overall motion of the vorticity is WNW. That hasn’t changed.

Reaction score
Interaction between Laura and #14 will be very interesting. Throw in a large cut off trough over the Gulf, models are having a tough time. Both look Gulf bound...that’s for sure.

Oh, and throw in center reformations with both systems in the early stages. Laura, while having a closed circulation and TS force winds, the low pressure center is quite weak. It will get tugged and will reform toward deeper convection. Overall motion of the vorticity is WNW. That hasn’t changed.

Yeah it seems like the intensity forecast continues to be really hard to pinpoint. I think the center is going to reform and tuck the thunderstorms farther north (just my gut). When I looked at the satellite last night it seemed the center was to the north with thunderstorms displaced to the south. Is Laura expected to slow down at all? I ask because looking at the shear map, it appears the shear is dropping around Laura (albeit a small swath).The main deterrent I would say for the next 24 hours is forward speed.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah the low-level circulation in Laura relocating southward changes the calculus some. Unquestionably on course for the Gulf now, but that also means the center will be more likely to pass close to or directly over the Greater Antilles, which might slow its development. Certainly don't envy any tropical forecasters right now.

Kory

Reaction score
Yeah the low-level circulation in Laura relocating southward changes the calculus some. Unquestionably on course for the Gulf now, but that also means the center will be more likely to pass close to or directly over the Greater Antilles, which might slow its development. Certainly don't envy any tropical forecasters right now.
I think we’re seeing it relocate further east or it’s just elongated. Definitely seeing banding show up now.

Jetstream

Reaction score
Lots of questions in my mind about these storms this evening. How will they affect each other once the are both in the GOM? Intensity, track, etc... Where do the heavy rainfall bands set up and how much rain falls and where. Tornado's.....Lots to think about

Kory

Reaction score
She’s no longer gonna go through the islands. Models have trended north and she will ride the north coast of Hispaniola and Cuba. Could be important for strength down the road.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see there’s a good chance Laura makes landfall as a major.

Last edited:

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see there’s a good chance Laura makes landfall as a major.

There are several major models that have Laura making landfall with pressure falls found in cat 3 or stronger hurricanes. Hour by hour pressure drop forecast indicate a moment of rapid intensification. Globals will often misjudge how much a storm deepens during this process. It’s possible Laura will get to cat 4 or 5 status.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This is going to be really, really interesting. I'm excited to see the interaction between the two systems.

Back