• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Wednesday/Thursday/Friday April 17th-19th Severe Threat

MichelleH

Reaction score
It's interesting to note that April 27, 2011 and April 15, 2011 were the two largest tornado outbreaks in Alabama state history. They occurred 12 days apart. April 28/29, 2014 comes in at #4.

Curious what number the March 21, 1932 outbreak comes in at. My grandmother was 2 years old when that happened and it warped their house. She then went on to live through 4/3/74 and 4/27/11. She hated tornadoes. LOL

Reaction score
Curious what number the March 21, 1932 outbreak comes in at. My grandmother was 2 years old when that happened and it warped their house. She then went on to live through 4/3/74 and 4/27/11. She hated tornadoes. LOL

I'm pretty sure there were 15 tornadoes reported that day. Unfortunately, NWS BMX only published the top 11 events (12 are listed due to a tie for 11th place), which ends at 18 total tornadoes. I'm sure there were quite a few more tornadoes on 3/21/1932, however. Probably enough to vault that event into the top 5.

jmills

Reaction score
I don’t think next week is a slam dunk. A lot of things will hinge on the evolution of the Atlantic once Sunday’s system lifts out. Models still struggling with that as shown by some of the changes on today’s models.
Absolutely. Generally nothing 7+ days is ever a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think I honestly would put Palm Sunday 1965 (and probably the Enigma Outbreak of 1884) into the same bracket as the Super Outbreaks; though perhaps on the lower end, both were extremely high end events with tornado counts probably much higher than we think... but am getting off topic though (really wish the Significant Tornado Events thread was revived again)

Either way am glued to model runs and radars. We haven't really had a significant widespread event here since 4/28/14 (Beauregard notwithstanding)

Kory

Reaction score
Trying to potentially get through this weekend's severe event. Has the severe weather threat went away? No, but we're still fine tuning the overall synoptic scale stuff which hinges a lot on how Sunday's system lifts out.

Overnight Euro was another nocturnal into morning event for Dixie. GFS is a little slower. Both showing a substantial threat still.

Back