• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. What made 2011 such an active year?
2. Why was 4/3/74 much less geographically widespread than 4/27/11?
On the second point, I would say the opposite is true. 4/3/74 had violent tornadoes over a much larger area. On 4/27/11 they were very densely packed from eastern MS across AL to far NW Georgia and east Tennessee.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Speaking of overshadowed 2011 tornadoes, I'm not sure if the April 9 Mapleton, Iowa tornado has yet been mentioned on this thread. This massive tornado damaged or destroyed 60% of structures in town, and was documented by many storm chasers. Remarkably, there were no fatalities, although 14 people were injured (the worst injury was reportedly a broken leg). The damage was awarded an EF3 rating.

April_9%2C_2010_Mapleton%2C_Iowa_tornado_damage.jpg

mapleton_wide-a570afab8f961c01f7ecc9a9ad01233ee837e9b2-s1100-c50.jpg

54b6d37e435af.image.jpg

joshoctober16

Reaction score
in terms of the most severe extreme tornado damage that wasn't rated EF5/F5 it would be
Bakersfield Valley F4 June 1990 (should be rated F5)
Marion County - Barnes F4+ July 2004 (should be rated F5)
Barnesville EF3+ April 2011 (should be rated EF5)
Cordova EF4 April 2011
Cullman EF4 April 2011
Holly Springs-Ashland EF4 Dec 2015
Chapman EF4+ May 2016
Monette EF4 Dec 2021
Mayfield - Bremen EF4 Dec 2021 (should be rated EF5)

i wonder if there is some new info for barnsville , bakersfield? almost no info on them.

the 4 i listed as should be rated EF5/F5 is for a reason , i am developing (still in construction) a way to compare all the most violent tornado in a unbias way , the biggest problem is i am unable to get rid of the 4 from the EF5 wind speed range , if i force it almost all 2007-2013 EF5 get kick down to EF4 rank.

(extra note , i couldn't get Greensburg in the EF5 group for a while without having 11+ EF4 going EF5 , but new info from this year was able to fix that)

i kept hearing how this past tornado wouldn't be rated EF5 today , so i decided to make this project , its interesting to note how 80% of all F5 wouldnt be rated EF5 it seems.

i hope i can get some input about it once it reaches version 0.9 (its at 0.2 right now).

only other thing to say is for now Smithville EF5 seems to be on top... by a lot.

pohnpei

Reaction score
in terms of the most severe extreme tornado damage that wasn't rated EF5/F5 it would be
Bakersfield Valley F4 June 1990 (should be rated F5)
Marion County - Barnes F4+ July 2004 (should be rated F5)
Barnesville EF3+ April 2011 (should be rated EF5)
Cordova EF4 April 2011
Cullman EF4 April 2011
Holly Springs-Ashland EF4 Dec 2015
Chapman EF4+ May 2016
Monette EF4 Dec 2021
Mayfield - Bremen EF4 Dec 2021 (should be rated EF5)

i wonder if there is some new info for barnsville , bakersfield? almost no info on them.

the 4 i listed as should be rated EF5/F5 is for a reason , i am developing (still in construction) a way to compare all the most violent tornado in a unbias way , the biggest problem is i am unable to get rid of the 4 from the EF5 wind speed range , if i force it almost all 2007-2013 EF5 get kick down to EF4 rank.

(extra note , i couldn't get Greensburg in the EF5 group for a while without having 11+ EF4 going EF5 , but new info from this year was able to fix that)

i kept hearing how this past tornado wouldn't be rated EF5 today , so i decided to make this project , its interesting to note how 80% of all F5 wouldnt be rated EF5 it seems.

i hope i can get some input about it once it reaches version 0.9 (its at 0.2 right now).

only other thing to say is for now Smithville EF5 seems to be on top... by a lot.
It seems that Loyal Valley/Harper/Vilonia/Chickasha/Goldsby definitely should belong to this list and being more obvious EF5 level tornado than at least Cullman.

pohnpei

Reaction score
One tornado that hardly got any mentioned here was 2010 Bowbells ND tornado. It tossed a 27t farm machinery 100 yards away which was pretty clearly violent level damage to me.
. The National Weather Service storm assessment found farm machinery that had an estimated weight of 60 thousand pounds was moved 100 yards (91 meters), likely through the air.
mmexport1670562364220.jpgmmexport1670562384417.jpgmmexport1670562393728.jpgmmexport1670562396892.jpgmmexport1670562398921.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
View attachment 15904
also here are some image comparison of some of the big ones.
not sure if there's swept clean images or aerial of Philadelphia EF5.
The aerial photo you labeled as El Reno tornado was actually from Goldsby. It was mislabled at first on Extremeplanet's website.
Several satellite form Philadelphia but nothing particularly close range aerial photos that I can find.
20110427PHILADELPHIA1.png20110427PHILADELPHIA2.png20110427PHILADELPHIA3.png
For the swept clean house(not that "clean")
881efe1a8743153e13b7529827d9752e00957464_raw.jpg

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Speaking of overshadowed 2011 tornadoes, I'm not sure if the April 9 Mapleton, Iowa tornado has yet been mentioned on this thread. This massive tornado damaged or destroyed 60% of structures in town, and was documented by many storm chasers. Remarkably, there were no fatalities, although 14 people were injured (the worst injury was reportedly a broken leg). The damage was awarded an EF3 rating.
I'd agree. There';s no explaining why for this one; it's well before the main outbreak was even being foretasted and I can't recall anything significant overshadowing it THAT much. Should have been massive media coverage :( Compared to 1974, 2011 was big worldwide and not just here. Several folks are now beginning to refer to it as "The year of the tornado" because of that.

Reaction score
does anyone here know if there is any drone footage or images of the infamous bremen kentucky home? the one that had it's concrete floor slabs removed?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I'd agree. There';s no explaining why for this one; it's well before the main outbreak was even being foretasted and I can't recall anything significant overshadowing it THAT much. Should have been massive media coverage :( Compared to 1974, 2011 was big worldwide and not just here. Several folks are now beginning to refer to it as "The year of the tornado" because of that.
Probably because it occurred in rural Iowa and did not affect any large cities.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Okay, bit random but here's a question for y'all. I've been trying to work on the New Richmond video, but I keep getting frustrated because I haven't quite built up the skills needed to do everything I want yet. I think the best solution for now is to do a video or two on a different topic where I'm not putting as much pressure on myself and I'm more free to play around and learn. (Did I mention I have no idea what I'm doing? lol)

Anywho, on to the question. Which topic(s) would you guys rather see (bearing in mind that it may not be very good or very in-depth):

• Overshadowed tornadoes from famous events
  • Tornado hotspots (OKC/Moore, Birmingham/McDonald Chapel, St. Louis, etc.)
  • Overviews of individual historic tornadoes
  • Tornado oddities (unusual geographic locations, weird behaviors, odd damage, whatever - clearly haven't given this one much thought)
Or pretty much whatever else, I guess. I'm open to anything.

locomusic01

Reaction score
1. I thought the original video was just Homer-Salix
2. This one all the way
Do you mean the one little clip I posted a while back? That was basically just something I put together for practice. The New Richmond video will cover everything - Salix, New Richmond, Clear Lake, Barron, Herman, etc. Assuming I eventually get to a point where I don't suck at it lol

Reaction score
Do you mean the one little clip I posted a while back? That was basically just something I put together for practice. The New Richmond video will cover everything - Salix, New Richmond, Clear Lake, Barron, Herman, etc. Assuming I eventually get to a point where I don't suck at it lol
No, you made a whole post about how you still wanted to do a New Richmond article, but were just going to do Salix as a smaller video while you worked on the NR article.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I don't remember that, but I did make a few practice videos focusing on Salix after I wrote out that whole section of my article. Turns out there's just not a lot of content there video-wise since I only have a few pictures and the tornado mainly affected a few specific properties.

Reaction score
Fixed the typo lol

In that case...I think it's been discussed here and/or in the 4/27-specific thread before. It seems to be pretty well agreed upon that one significant (but probably not the only) factor was that midday MCS that produced a few weak tornadoes across far northern Alabama hampered areas further north from destabilizing. This probably prevented significant tornadoes in middle TN, KY, IN and OH (something more resembling 1974 in spatial extent), but also laid down a boundary that further enhanced the already very strong low-level shear and resulted in tornado Armageddon across a narrow strip of eastern MS across Alabama, from Smithville to Hackleburg to Cullman, and possibly others such as Haleyville and some of the ones in far northeast AL/northwest GA (Section-Pisgah-Flat Rock-Trenton, Fackler-Bridgeport).

It's kind of an afterthought with how hard Alabama and eastern Mississippi got hit, but Chattanooga came unnervingly close to having a violent tornado move through the city that day. The Trenton tornado dissipated in Ft. Oglethorpe, and Ringgold is just southeast of there.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Probably because it occurred in rural Iowa and did not affect any large cities.
You could be speaking of Greenburg or Winterset as for location mattering, yet they got a lot of attention. I get your point but I don't see that as a consistent factor; it's it-and-miss with small unknown towns.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
You could be speaking of Greenburg or Winterset as for location mattering, yet they got a lot of attention. I get your point but I don't see that as a consistent factor; it's it-and-miss with small unknown towns.
Also the lack of deaths from 4/9/11 is also probably part of the reason it didn’t get much mention in national media.

locomusic01

Reaction score
In that case...I think it's been discussed here and/or in the 4/27-specific thread before. It seems to be pretty well agreed upon that one significant (but probably not the only) factor was that midday MCS that produced a few weak tornadoes across far northern Alabama hampered areas further north from destabilizing. This probably prevented significant tornadoes in middle TN, KY, IN and OH (something more resembling 1974 in spatial extent), but also laid down a boundary that further enhanced the already very strong low-level shear and resulted in tornado Armageddon across a narrow strip of eastern MS across Alabama, from Smithville to Hackleburg to Cullman, and possibly others such as Haleyville and some of the ones in far northeast AL/northwest GA (Section-Pisgah-Flat Rock-Trenton, Fackler-Bridgeport).
IMO, that's maybe the most interesting aspect of 4/27. What may have been something very similar to the '74 Super Outbreak turned into something that kinda reminds me of Palm Sunday '65 on steroids (like.. lots and lots of steroids). Still a large areal extent overall, but with a relatively smaller focus of incredible violence.

Back