• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

locomusic01

Reaction score
I’m surprised that Sherman is up so high on that list with the little information that exists about it. Also why do you have Jarrell as an F5+.
Speaking of Sherman, I was reading Sherman's Black Friday the other day and I got a kick out of some of the claims in there. Apparently the tornado was "no less than 500 mph" (maybe over 1,000) and had a forward speed of 100+ mph. It also "burned" both trees and victims, producing an evident blackening effect. Victims' clothing also "crumbled like dirt" as soon as it was touched.

They just don't make tornadoes like they used to.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
I’m surprised that Sherman is up so high on that list with the little information that exists about it. Also why do you have Jarrell as an F5+.
F5+ just means some source toyed with F6 or tought of rating it F6 or it was once rated F6 , strangly yes there is a video form weather experts (not usa ones tough) stating it could likely fit in the f6 scale (somwheres on youtube)

joshoctober16

Reaction score
Speaking of Sherman, I was reading Sherman's Black Friday the other day and I got a kick out of some of the claims in there. Apparently the tornado was "no less than 500 mph" (maybe over 1,000) and had a forward speed of 100+ mph. It also "burned" both trees and victims, producing an evident blackening effect. Victims' clothing also "crumbled like dirt" as soon as it was touched.

the burn like thing is talk about with andover 1991 F5 as well , sherman seems to be up top for now cause of multiple reasons (low shrubs gone without a trace,human mutulation,100% death rate above ground,homes completely swept clean,ground scouring,objects thrown 35+ miles away) the so call bridge damage is tricky since i have no clue what you can rate that one base on what i herd.

locomusic01

Reaction score
the burn like thing is talk about with andover 1991 F5 as well , sherman seems to be up top for now cause of multiple reasons (low shrubs gone without a trace,human mutulation,100% death rate above ground,homes completely swept clean,ground scouring,objects thrown 35+ miles away) the so call bridge damage is tricky since i have no clue what you can rate that one base on what i herd.
I haven't studied Sherman as in-depth as I have some others, but tbh I think it's another event that's been mythologized a bit. No doubt it was extremely violent and deserving of an F5 rating, but I'm not sure it jumps out as significantly more intense than other tornadoes of the era. New Richmond immediately comes to mind as being at least as violent (probably more IMO), for instance. From what I've seen over the years, even some of the other violent tornadoes from the May 1896 sequence (esp. the Seneca, KS and Oakland Co, MI F5s and the 5/24/96 F4 near Des Moines) sound potentially comparable.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
I haven't studied Sherman as in-depth as I have some others, but tbh I think it's another event that's been mythologized a bit. No doubt it was extremely violent and deserving of an F5 rating, but I'm not sure it jumps out as significantly more intense than other tornadoes of the era. New Richmond immediately comes to mind as being at least as violent (probably more IMO), for instance. From what I've seen over the years, even some of the other violent tornadoes from the May 1896 sequence (esp. the Seneca, KS and Oakland Co, MI F5s and the 5/24/96 F4 near Des Moines) sound potentially comparable.
what did new richmond do that you think it should be higher? it could be info i never herd and if i input it migth rise it higher on my list

locomusic01

Reaction score
what did new richmond do that you think it should be higher? it could be info i never herd and if i input it migth rise it higher on my list
New Richmond produced some of the most extreme debarking/denuding I've ever seen; significant ground scouring; horrific, Jarrell-esque injuries to victims, cattle, horses, etc.; picked up and mangled a heavy iron bridge; threw victims hundreds of yards (perhaps longer in a few cases); reduced an entire swath of the town - including multi-story stone and brick buildings and some of the finest residences around - to fragments of rubble; tossed multiple train cars hundreds of yards and tore some of them apart, etc.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
1670712070729.png here are the tornadoes at the top 20 , remember no bias since for example (if i change how much points it gives for car thrown distance , it does it for all) if some seem too low or are not there it might be because i havent herd of what they did (im only 25% finish)

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
F5+ just means some source toyed with F6 or tought of rating it F6 or it was once rated F6 , strangly yes there is a video form weather experts (not usa ones tough) stating it could likely fit in the f6 scale (somwheres on youtube)
I have never seen a official or reliable source that mentions Jarrell almost being rated F6 so it is probably another baseless rumor.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have never seen a official or reliable source that mentions Jarrell almost being rated F6 so it is probably another baseless rumor.
EDIT: I Missed the above post when writing mine)

I can't recall who, but one of the "experts" publicly said that if ever there was an F6 this was it (or something close to that).

Damage-wise Jarrell at Double Creek was the most intense tornado ever, however windspeeds could have been lower with the time-on-site compensating.

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There was a Twitter thread recently from a soil scientist that got into this. I don't have it handy right now so I'm going from memory, but IIRC his suggestion was essentially that there were two different strata of soil with different properties and that the top layer sort of separated at that boundary. Once it started getting pulled up (maybe from a debris impact or just some kind of existing discontinuity) it basically peeled away in strips like fresh sod.

I'd imagine it would still take a fairly significant tornado in most cases, but not necessarily a high-end violent one. The Tidioute F3 from 5/31/85 is another example that comes to mind - it's very possible it was actually stronger than F3 at some point, but a lot of sources described it digging a "trench" a bit east of town in an area where it was likely more in the F2 or low-end F3 range. I wasn't able to find any photos, but I learned what really happened from the folks who owned the property. A large metal fence post had been driven into the ground at a shallow angle, creating sort of like a long slash, and that allowed the winds to get in there and peel back chunks on either side of it.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm inclined to think that sort of thing is less impressive than legit, full-on ground scouring.
I'm no expert either but I do have a lot of experience and knowledge of soils as part of my construction career and a bit of geological interest as a hobby. Topsoil, generally about 3-6 inches down, is much looser than what's below it, and is much easier to shift. The strata below it can have many characteristics but is generally harder and far more stable. Soils like "hardpan" found in parts of the west are almost like concrete, while lowland areas may have thinner layers of soil deposited through past floods which will tend to pull away in layers and may not be well-bonded. Normally the hard clay prevalent where I live is dense and solid, but in deep droughts exhibits that layered tendency. When it's saturated it's a lot like "Play-dough" or kids modeling clay. And sandy soils will of course be looser.

I think that in general any trenching over a larger area at depths of ~10 inches or more is significant and probably indicative of a tornadoes strength. It's just not as "dirt simple" as it may seem (pun intended) :p

Something I've been thinking about might also be involved with this. "Liquefaction" of some soils in earthquakes is well known. Also know from those who have been in strong tornadoes is a vibratory element; a shaking of the ground they're being sheltered by. I have to wonder if that may also play a part in 'scouring' by affecting the stability of upper layers of soil. I'm mot one to rule anything out until it's well disproven so I have to see the chance that there may be some involvement.

Reaction score

Also the 50,000 ton grain elevator that was leveled by the Tri-State Tornado.
Again, don't make 'em like they used to lol....

Reaction score

My previous post on Sherman, with a collection of photos from imgur, including one of the bridge. I've always thought that Sherman was similar to Pampa, TX or Elie, MN....a narrow, extremely violent drillbit tornado going through a densely populated area.

locomusic01

Reaction score
By the way, re: Sherman - I reached out to the Sherman Museum quite a while ago and they said that they were in the process of digitizing their collection, which includes photos from the tornado. Not sure how many, but it's possible they may have them digitized by now. Been meaning to follow up at some point.

ciberbull

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone here have an good aerial imagery of the house that was rated 190 in Vilonia? Best i've found is this glimpse from the NWSLittlerock flyover. I also found this very high quality shot of downtown Vilonia but the house is just out of frame.

image.png
REU-USA-TORNADOWEATHER-24.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
So I was contacted recently by someone who experienced the 6/8/53 Cygnet, OH F4+ and that kinda drew me back to that outbreak a bit. Among other things, I finally got the full series (as far as I know) of photos of the tornado taken near OH-235, which is just shortly after it demolished a home and killed five members of one family.

Kvg3C4L.jpg

ZtlKiHm.jpg

e9zITcZ.jpg

RqrBRMM.jpg

ek9NvjR.jpg

2XYWt1s.jpg

zKFAI7f.jpg

luXgASD.jpg

Aezvrq4.jpg

Logo 468x120
Back